VMware Communities
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is It Possible To Specify Location of The Huge VMEM Files?

I recently upgraded the RAM of my workstation to 128GB.  With the increase of memory, I created a RAM drive.  What I would like to do is move the vmem files that get created for all my virtual machines to my RAM drive.  The RAM drive is currently drive Z:.  I took a look at the vmx and vmxf files for my virtual machines but did not see that the vmem files are specified in it.

Is this something that I can do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I am not aware of a parameter to assign a location for the vmem-files.
However you could try to work without vmem-files.
You could either set
mainmem.useNamedFile = "false"
in the vmx-file - or if you want to set it globally for all VMs put that in the config.ini

This setting will spoeed up the VMs during normal use - but it will also slow down suspends and resume-actions.

Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would suggest to work without the vmem file. With older vmware products it was possible with the vmx-setting:

mainMem.useNamedFile = "false"

In newer versions or linux hosts this was replaced by

mainmem.backing = "swap|named|unnamed"

"swap" only works on 64bit hosts,  "named" uses mem file in VM-directory,  "unnamed" uses mem file in /tmp

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dayworker
On Windowshosts it is still the same parameter as in older versions.
mainmem.backing is only used in Linux

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the advice.  After making this change, I noticed an immediate boost in performance of all my VMs.  VMware is now using more physical memory instead of disk for every VM.  I modified the config.ini file with this change so that all my VMs gain this performance boost.

0 Kudos