VMware Communities
Venitor
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient quota to complete the requested service (1453)

Hi All

I am trying to run a 64bit windows server 2003 guest on a Windows 7 64bit host but find my laptop hangs. Sometimes the laptop recovers but most times I need to turn off the power and restart. I sometimes a window appears saying Operation on file "C:\\ESX-COGEXP-01.vmdk" failed. and in the vmware log for this virtual machine I get "Insufficient quota to complete the requested service (1453)". There is not any disk quota system in use. I have tried enabling the quota system with no limits but still have the same problem.

I am runng on a Toshiba Tecra P11 with 6GB of RAM, it has a Core i7 processor with VT enabled in the BIOS and also has an SSD as its primary disk. The host OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit and Vmware Workstation 6.5.3.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How much RAM is configured for the guest? Try reducing it to 2GB, if that fixes it then this is probably the same problem as PR 532336 (for those following along internally). We're looking into it and hope to have a fix soon.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just looked at the log, it's already set to 2Gb, can you try reducing it further and let us know what happens. Are you running any other VMs simultaneously?

0 Kudos
Venitor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick reply.

I had the guest set to 4GB and after it failed I reduced it down to 2GB but I get the same problem.

I'll try now with 1.5GB. I have two VM in this laptop but only run one at a time.

0 Kudos
Venitor
Contributor
Contributor

I tried again with 1544MB of RAM and got the same error message as before. The log file appears larger than before so I have attached it to this message. The log still says "Insufficient quota to complete the requested service (1453)" though.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ok, thanks. We're looking into it. I'll post an update when I have more info.

0 Kudos
Venitor
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers for that. Any luck so far?

I have another laptop of exactly the same model and specs that is experiencing the same problem.

Both of these laptops are required next week for demonstrations using VMware Workstation. If anyone has found a way to get them working, even if only a work-around would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We're currently procuring hardware to investigate the issue. However if you're in the bay area and would like to stop by with your laptop or give us remote access we may be able to get to the bottom of this issue sooner. You can contact me privately at rharry@vmware.com

0 Kudos
EarlGPz750
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i just wanted to add to this post as I have the same problem, similar hardware. I have Toshiba x505-850 - WIn7 64 Ultimate - 6 GIGS ram, 64Gig SSD and 500GIG SATA.

I have all installs on the E: drive (500 gig sata) and data as well. I removed "compression" off the folder. I experience the same issue: " Insufficient quota to complete the requested service.

Mar 15 17:56:39.105: vmx| VMXAIOMGR: system : err=371970 errCode=1453 freeSpace=330690535424"

I have tried defragging, I swapped out the 320 drive for 500 - thinking it was physical and it worked for a while (a week) then same issues.

I lowered the memory, Created a new VM, Cloned a VM, Converted a VM and each will crash at various points.

As far as light testing, VMs on an external Drive work ok, I havent done a prolonged test.

Could there be an issue with drivers for the motherboard from TOshiba with i7's?

I have attached the log for the VM. They seem to say the same thing from the other VMS other than computer name and folder location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
EarlGPz750
Contributor
Contributor

I am willing to have you remote my PC. But I am in NJ.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks we'll take you up on your offer. Please contact me at rharry@vmware.com

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

any news on this - this would appear to be my exact problem - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1505325#1505325

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This particular issue is caused by a bug in Toshiba's wifi service..

service name: "cfWiMAXService"

Display name:"ConfigFree WiMAX

Service"

Description: "This is WiMAX Control Service of ConfigFree. Please do

not stop this servce when you are using ConfigFree with Intel WiMAX device."

whereby it erroneously reserves 4GB for its working set, due to a 32/64 bit porting error. Two possible workarounds (which I haven't tried) disable this service or add 4GB more swap.

If you're not on a Toshiba laptop then you may have a different problem.

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks so much - that sorted it

Pete

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is great detective work rharry! Thank you for sharing this information with the community.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can't take credit for it. One of my brilliant engineers tracked it down.

0 Kudos
EarlGPz750
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for tracking that down!! I have changed the swap file and will be testing shortly. I will post feed back. Worse come to worse Ill kill Config Free, I never use it.

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

I just disabled configfree.

I agree - great piece of detective work - Thanks again

0 Kudos
bodzio2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I just found the solution and I'm nearly sure it will help others. Just turn off so called remote differential compression in Windows features (OptionalFeatures.exe). It wasn't easy (it took me about 3 months) but at least I can run multiple virtual machines with 4GB RAM.

Good luck!

0 Kudos