VMware Communities
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install workstation 16 pro on dell powerdege

Hello,

I have two Dell power edge servers and I need to install vm workstation 16 pro on both servers. If anybody can point me to a document or help I'd appreciate it. Am really stuck at the moment

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

https://www.virten.net/2020/04/free-esxi-7-0-how-to-download-and-get-license-keys/

• No commercial support (Community support)
  • Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server
  • Some API functionality is missing (API is read-only)
  • No physical CPU limitation
  • Number of logical CPUs per host: 480
  • Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: 8
  • The Key is restricted to 100 Physical Servers deployments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What is the host OS?

Why are you installing Workstation on the servers rather than something like ESXi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes am unable to afford the EXi server I do have a license for workstation pro so I am hoping to use that and hope it all stays together.

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am pretty sure there is a free version as long as you stick within the limitations of it. I have set it up before and don't have a license for it. 

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well anything you can show me or help me with, am clueless and certainly lost

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7&source=dwnp

Follow that link, once you register you will get a license key. I just put student as the company name. After that you should be able to download the iso file for ESXi. It can be a little confusing to set up but I'm sure you will be able to find the answers you are looking for here, if you run into any trouble. 

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You mentioned limitations, what are the limitations, I will need to be able to create linux virtual machines, if am unable to do that, the exercise might be futile.

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

https://www.virten.net/2020/04/free-esxi-7-0-how-to-download-and-get-license-keys/

• No commercial support (Community support)
  • Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server
  • Some API functionality is missing (API is read-only)
  • No physical CPU limitation
  • Number of logical CPUs per host: 480
  • Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: 8
  • The Key is restricted to 100 Physical Servers deployments.
0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You said "Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server" does that mean I can just install the free ESXi on the bare metal and none more?

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What can I do as well after 60 days when the trail period is over. I will need access to the servers.

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes then you can create the VMs within that. You wouldn't want to install VM on the server alone, that would be a waste of resources. 

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You still need to enter the licensing key into esxi.

Manage > Licensing > Assign License 

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apC1bOLbzbY

This is exactly what you need to watch. 

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Than you very much I have been able to install esxi and assigned the licensee. Thank you.

I have to learn how to create Linux machines and the file system or datastore and add Linux a directory for Linux iso.

Any document or link you could share with me whenever you get the moment to spare.

Thank you

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, I am in the process of creating a Linux 7.9 machine fingers crossed, but am hopeful.

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cool man you got this. I wish I had a server like that to mess around with and learn. 

0 Kudos
akvm1922
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I believe you have led me to my promised land. Much appreciated. I have been able to create VMs and am in the process of installation.

Thank you!!!!

0 Kudos