VMware Communities
jrich523
Contributor
Contributor

Install Workstation Pro on linux server and connect to it with workstation UI from windows

I have managed to install Workstation 16 on my light weight (no GUI) debian setup and wanted to connect to it from vmware workstation on my windows box.

Im not sure how to run workstation on the linux box to allow remote connections and cant find docs anywhere.

The other thing i was thinking was to use ESXi and connect to that with Workstation, but im not sure if that would work as i expect.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Justin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You probably figured it out by now.

However let's see if I can answer your question for others to bump into this post.

There's no shared VM feature anymore since VMware Workstation 16, so you can't connect to the VM's from another VMware Workstation instance.

You can indeed run ESXi, but then your host OS has to change to ESXi. You don't run it inside of Linux.
In theory you can run ESXi inside Workstation, but then you end up running VM's inside of ESXi which itself runs inside of Workstation. Not exactly the most powerful setup as your VM's end up multiple layers deep.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos