VMware Communities
BB202
Contributor
Contributor

Import error 23 / unable to determine guest OS

I have a VM Win XP guest running on a Ubuntu host. Guest runs fine on the host system. I am seeking to move the guest to a new system - a Win XP SP3 system with VMware Workstation 6.5.3 installed.

I have shared the Guest directory and using the Workstation import wizard on the new host system to import the VM. Network share is full read / write access. Import fails either with error 23 or with "unable to determine guest OS". Log portion below. How can I move this VM?

Brendon

PS - I've tried just copying the guest directory to the new host over the network, but for some reason both Workstation and Player can not bring the guest up without BSOD (guest only loads in safe mode and BSOD / eventlogs are not helpful in resolving the issue). Using import feature is current fallback position.

Log:

CloseSession called for session id=1A6805AC-B3C2-4E3B-B6A5-C0AEDE16C0C5

Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#3/

Impersonating user new user in session 8F504EC6-7505-4F9F-8A99-295A32E01E98

Entering UFAD at QuerySourceInfo

source:

(sysimage.HostedSourceVMSpec) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

vmxFilePath = "
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmx",

}

Creating local adapter...

Registering disposable session object id=VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Associating disposable session object id=VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task with session id=8F504EC6-7505-4F9F-8A99-295A32E01E98

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: Starting execution of an image processing task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: SetState to running

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask initialized

Creating local adapter...

Parsing local vmx file
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmx

Adding controller for IDE bus 0 with key 200.

LocalVirtualDiskSpec: Name=
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk

Creating local connection to the co-located slave

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "PointOfPain-000001.vmdk" (0xe)

DISKLIB-LINK : Opened '
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk' (0xe): monolithicSparse, 104890434 sectors / 50.0 GB.

DISKLIB-SPARSE: "
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmdk" : failed to open (36872): Underlying file system does not support files that large.

DISKLIB-LINK : "
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmdk" : failed to open (The file is too large).

DISKLIB-CHAIN :"
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk": Failed to open parent "
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmdk": The file is too large.

DISKLIB-CHAIN : "
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain.vmdk" : failed to open (The parent of this virtual disk could not be opened).

DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open '
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk' with flags 0xe (The parent of this virtual disk could not be opened).

Opening
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk failed with error23

Rethrowing MethodFault sysimage.fault.FileOpenError:

Failed to open
Ptpain\pointofpain\PointOfPain-000001.vmdk

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.FileOpenError VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: SetState to error

object explicitly disposed: VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task being destroyed

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

just copy the directory with the VM - no need to use Converter at all

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
BB202
Contributor
Contributor

I wish ... that would be the obvious way for a truly virtualized system. But, it does not work for some reason. VM blue screens on boot on the new host. Everytime. Stop code 0x0000007E. Nothing helpful in the event logs.

I guess that it has to do with host moving from Pentium M to T2500 dual core because when the guest comes up in safe mode it "discovers" new hardware. The only change in the hardware profile is the processor "driver." The system can never recover to a normal boot. My hope is that the importprocess cures this.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Just copy the complete virtual machine directory to the other system.

Make sure that the VM does not have snapshot(s) or is suspended

0 Kudos
BB202
Contributor
Contributor

Rest assured that I have tried copying the entire directory, only after a clean and orderly shutdown of the VM. I've even copied the shared folder. I've tried it several times. I was even sucessful in using Workstation on the old host to export the VM across the network to the new location on the new host. It took a long time, but I actually exported the VM to the new host as well. It loads up to a BSOD. My hope was that importing it would act differently. Problem is that there is not enough disk space to copy it to the new host and then import it from the local disk ... thus I am trying to import it over the network.

Is there something not obvious about copying the entire directory? How do I know if I've failed to copy something? The only error code I get is in the log ... which is not very helpful.

0 Kudos