VMware Communities
ChrisMW
Contributor
Contributor

How to connect client to host

I've run into some trouble. I have Workstation 9 and I created a Win7 client, using 8GB of RAM, 2 CPU's with 2 cores, 60GB disk and installed Win7 64 Ultimate. I normally use VirtualBox and after this installation I was pleased with the performance I was getting. But, the main reason I run a Win 7 client is my love for Sparxsystems Enterprise Architect. Not that it didn't run well, it runs fine. What went seriously wrong was when I tried to set up an ODBC connection to my host, a Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), also 64 bit, running PostgreSQL 9.1.6 which holds a couple of EA repsitories.

Then it went all wrong. I got the 'connection was actively refused', socket errors 10061 when I tried to find out what was going wrong. The client connected to Internet fine, the shared folders also worked without problems. In fact, the services that ran on ip 0.0.0.0 seemed fine, however PostgreSQL was showing 127.0.0.1. In fact I managed to connected to any port that netstat showed as IP source 0.0.0.0, and none where it showed 127.0.0.1.

I ruled out postgreSQL, a Win 7 client from within VirtualBox connects just fine. I did try to tweak the config and the best I could manage was an error that the authentication was screwed, but that involved connecting to the IP from wlan0, and I, for obvious reasons, want to set up so that the IP of the gateway is used. I have tried knocking out IP6, didn't work, and I really don't want to set up a PostgreSQL server in its own VM just so that my other VM can reach it, there's a reason I want it on my Linux host (pretty much the same reason I use shared folders).

So I had to go back to VirtualBox, which has video issues, and seems a little slower,  but at least it allows my client software to connect over the network to my database server. It uses the same setup, I have both 64 and 32 bit ODBC connections setup, in VirtualBox it connects without any trouble to <gateway ip>:5432 and in VMWare it doesn't. I was unable to find a solution, although there's quite some mention of problems connecting to other VMWare components, or how to connect from a host into the VM, there's not so much about a Linux host, a Win7 VM and wanting to connect from VM to host.

Does anyone know what is going wrong? Because I'd really like to go back to VMWare and make it work.

Chris

0 Kudos
0 Replies