VMware Communities
heroherohero
Contributor
Contributor

How to choose to create fixed disks with all space pre-allocated when creating a new VM?

How to choose to create fixed disks with all space pre-allocated when creating a new VM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

If u r using vSphere, just be sure to NOT to check the thin provision check box. By default, all space is allocated when a VM is created unless u specify that. See the screenshot below to see what I mean.

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In order to have full aggregate control on a virtual hard disk when first creating a Virtual Machine you must start by choosing "Custom (advanced)" at the start of the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" and then when you get to "Guest Operating System Installation" choose "I will install operating system later".

Then as you walk through the Wizard the you'll get to "Specify Disk Capacity" at which point you will be able to choose "Maximum disk size", "Allocate all disk space now." and either "Store virtual disk a s single file" or "Split virtual disk into multiple files".

If you are adding an additional virtual disk to an existing Virtual Machine then you have full aggregate control while creating the virtual hard disk. 

If you create a Virtual Machine using the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" in any other manner you will not have full aggregate control when creating the virtual hard disk and you have two choices after the fact.  If no OS has been installed yet, you can delete the originally created virtual disk and then add a new one in the "Virtual Machine Settings" at which point you have full aggregate control when creating the virtual hard disk.  If an OS has been installed then you will have to use a CLI Utility called vmware-vdiskmanager which is located in VMware Workstation's working directory.  Executing vmware-vdiskmanager in a Command Prompt without any arguments will display the syntax of the command.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Bilal wrote:

If u r using vSphere

First of all why are you providing vSphere directions and screen shot for a question regarding VMware Workstation and is tagged as "vmware_workstation_7" so that reasonably eliminates the OP being in the wrong forum! ?  (More a rhetorical question so no need to reply specifically!)

Secondly the words "you" and or "are" are not spelt as "u" and or "r" and this is not a cell phone with text messaging or teenybopper chat room so I'll assume you just being lazy and not illiterate even though it make you look so.  It also makes your replies harder to read.

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

First of all why are you providing vSphere directions and screen shot for a question regarding VMware Workstation and is tagged as "vmware_workstation_7" so that reasonably eliminates the OP being in the wrong forum! ?  (More a rhetorical question so no need to reply specifically!)

Sorry, that was an oversight on my part. I am still new to the forum (as my join date will suggest) and will keep things like that in mind.

Secondly the words "you" and or "are" are not spelt as "u" and or "r" and this is not a cell phone with text messaging or teenybopper chat room so I'll assume you just being lazy and not illiterate even though it make you look so.  It also makes your replies harder to read.

I understand how "you" and "are" are spelt. However, I do use a  mobile device at times to post here which is probably the reason why you see what you saw. In any case this this may not be a good habbit and I get that. I thought getting the message across was more important than following certain norms. I personally dont find content harder to read that has words spelt with IM type acronyms. However, I am not all that matters and if you think that spelling the way I do results in a difficult reading expereince, I will be more mindful of that in the future. Smiley Happy

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos