VMware Communities
pinkbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I isolate the network from the host computer

I am planning to use my VM Workstation to access "questionable" sites to avoid polluting my host machine. Could anyone let me know what kind of (network) settings I need to make on my VMWare workstation to make sure that there's no way that any malware can get from it to to my host machine please?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Pinkbull,

Welcome to the forums.

As long as you do not exchange files between host and guest OSs, how the network is configured is not really important. If you want to fully separate your VMs, best solution is to have two physical ports on your computer, attach host OS to one and dedicate second port to the VM.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Pinkbull,

Welcome to the forums.

As long as you do not exchange files between host and guest OSs, how the network is configured is not really important. If you want to fully separate your VMs, best solution is to have two physical ports on your computer, attach host OS to one and dedicate second port to the VM.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
pinkbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot Franck.

Could you let me know how I dedicate a port to the VM please? Sorry I am pretty new to this area.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Let's say you have pNic1 ("physical network card 1") for the host and pNic2 for the VM.

On the host, disable TCP/IP protocol for pNic2.

Go to Virtual Network Editor, bridge VMnet0 to pNic2 (replace Automatic setting). Attach your virtual machine network card to the bridged network or VMnet0.

Regards

Franck

pinkbull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help Franck.

0 Kudos