VMware Communities
tim_frost
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get workstation 12 working on Ubuntu 15.10 - kernel 4.2.0-16-generic

I recently upgraded my home system from Ubuntu 15.04 (code name vivid) to a beta of version 15.10 (code name wily) on a 64-bit system.  The kernel I am running, according to the command 'uname -r', is 4.2.0-16-generic, while the previous version was in series 3.16.x. In August, I upgraded the version of VMware Workstation from V11 to V12.0.0 (installer file VMware-Workstation-Full-12.0.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle).  This worked prior to the upgrade of Ubuntu, but the program /usr/bin/vmware now just exits with no messages and an exit code of 1.

Is this Ubuntu version (or Linux kernel, since VMware installs kernel modules) supported now?

If not, how long is it likely to be before it IS supported?

2 Replies
rob72
Contributor
Contributor

You may be running into the same issue as Fedora 23 and SUSE Tumbleweed users. Namely that the introduction of GCC5 in gcc11 mode in recent distributions causes breakages.

I posted a solution for Fedora, by taking some system libs from an older release in this thread;

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/509702?start=15&tstart=0

0 Kudos
db1970
Contributor
Contributor

I run into the same problem.

a work around is to create a startup wrapper /usr/local/bin/vmware

#! /bin/bash

#

# Script to start VMware Workstation 12.0 on Ubuntu 15.10

#

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/usr/bin/vmware &

Instead of launching VMware Workstation from the menu bar or dash, you need to start it from the command line

Explanation:

echo $PATH

reveals

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

Thus vmware in /usr/local/bin will be called before the original binary which is located in /usr/bin

If there is a fix released from VMware, you need to delete this file again.

Hope this helps