VMware Communities
Vighnesh20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help needed for installing windows server 2008 r2

Hello users,

I'm new to this virtual environment technology and i needed help in installing the windows server 2008 r2 on vm workstation. So for that what are the recommended setting for drivers, no. of processors, amount of ram, type of ssci or sata..etc for giving the best performance on my virtual machine. If possible please provide me with detailed information for my knowledge.Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you sure you installed a Windows Server 2008 R2?

Because the normal procedure is, that after installation, you get a prompt to choose an administrator password. After that you are logged in.

There are no extra users created during installation. This only happens when installing desktop versions of Windows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from Community Website Help to VMware Workstation

Hi, welcome to the communities,

basic guideline should be to start with a small amount of ressources and add more if it isn't sufficient.

So you can start with 1 vCPU and 1 GB RAM. For the other settings keep the defaults the VM creation wizard gives you. It selects them based on the Guest OS you choose at the start.

Regards

Vighnesh20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me the difference between administrator account and guest os account created by wm during the initial steps of installation??

Because when i power on the virtual machine it directly redirects me to desktop page, it doesn't ask me for login credentials. I have given the guest user name during installation as win server, but when i press crl+alt+del and goto switch user i can see two accounts.

1. Administrator

2. ms server

My question is, does ms server is also an administrator account or it is simply a guest account?

But when i switch to administrator account it asks me for creating a new password and i have created

So from the two accounts which one is the administrator account in real?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you sure you installed a Windows Server 2008 R2?

Because the normal procedure is, that after installation, you get a prompt to choose an administrator password. After that you are logged in.

There are no extra users created during installation. This only happens when installing desktop versions of Windows.

0 Kudos
Vighnesh20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know the version i have downloaded, I've taken it from internet source. I'm using laptop model of HP n007ax.

I think the installation file is a custom made because it contains all the versions of windows server under one image.

So what shall i do now if i use the desktop version ??

Is it recommended to proceed??

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, I can't really follow the problems you have with your user Account, since what you described only happens in Windows7,etc., not in Windows Server version.

Also these aren't VMware-related problems, as it's inside your guest OS.

Besides that, "I've taken it from internet source" and not knowing what version you installed sounds a bit strange.

I must assume you don't own a legal Windows Server license and can't help you further, sorry.

Best Regards

Vighnesh20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well i have downloaded the 64bit version of windows server 2008 R2 from online website. I will post you some pics regarding my installation please look forward.

In this pic its asking me to enter the details and name along with password as optional.

Step 2.jpg

Step 1.jpg

Configuration.jpg

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So you downloaded a Pre-Activated Windows Server 2008 R2 from an online website.

Sorry, but we can't help you with your illegal software.

Please take a look at the Community Terms of Use | United States

Best Regards

0 Kudos