VMware Communities
leejb
Contributor
Contributor

Get VMWorkstation to emulate HT to the Guest OS

I'm assuming this is not possible and I understand performance would likely take a huge hit if it was... but if I assign multiple cores to a Guest OS, is it possible to get the Guest OS to see that as HT enabled hardware?

i.e. I assign 1 Logical CPU with 4 Cores, can I get the Guest OS to see 8 CPU's as if it was installed on an i7 with HT enabled?

.... basically getting VMWorkstation to emulate HT to the Guest OS.

From what I can read... almost everything is tied to performance specific tasks and almost everything regarding HT is paired to the Host OS, not the Guest.

We are wanting to test specific hyperthreading code calls and evaluate performance within a ball park and actually get the code to function correctly before moving on to real environment.  So we could test it against a dual socket 4 core (which with HT would show 16 cores to the OS).

From my understanding, VMWare utilizes HT on the back end, but I'm not finding anything to pass it along OR emulate it to the Guest OS.  Everything else with the cores is basically to satisfy licensing requirements that are based on socket count.

Anyway, thought I would ask.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is not possible. You can only assign, what you have.

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A virtual CPU is just a thread associated with the vmware-vmx process on the host, and it is scheduled by the host OS.  You may be able to use CPU affinity to force the host OS to schedule specific virtual CPUs on specific hyper-threads, but that is about as close as you're going to get.

0 Kudos