VMware Communities
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor

Filter virtual machine traffic

Hello,

can somebody please help me how to filter traffic between / from / to virtual machines? I'm using Workstation 7. The problem is that the traffic between virtual machines is kept local, it won't go out over the real network interface, so it can't be filtered by an external hardware firewall. For Vmware vSphere there's VMware vShield Zones, but for VMware Workstation? Thanks for any hint!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are your guests cofigured for bridged or NAT?

Bridged mode should connect guests to your router the same as a "real" machine. That is, they should be attached to your LAN.

Lou

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Edit: Wonder how I did that. nervous mouse finger I guess. Sorry.

Lou

0 Kudos
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor

hello , thanks for your reply. I'm looking for a general solution, in most cases I'm using the NAT interface. Are your sure, the traffic isn't kept local when communicating between 2 VMs on the same host? I have to admit yet didn't test this.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Bridged puts the VM's on the local network, they look just like a real machine to all other machines and VM's. NAT lets you share the hosts connection to the Internet.

I use Bridged.

Lou

0 Kudos
srynoname
Contributor
Contributor

hello louyo,

thanks for your reply.

while the bridged interface is a good way to force the trafic to go to lan, how do I make sure, that software inside the virtualmachine doesn't changes the virtual machine's ip address or mac, so I can be sure that firewall rules defined for a virtual machine are also applied on it? thanks!

0 Kudos