VMware Communities
DGBrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fedora 11 and Workstation 6.5.2 now working but new 6.5.3 install fails

Having got Workstation 6.5.2 working on Fedora 11 by using the "patch". I expected that the new download of 6.5.3 would install without problems.

It didn't!

It hangs in "Configuring" Player

Installing VMware Installer 1.0

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installing VMware Player 2.5.3

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installing VMware VIX API 1.6.3

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Typing in ^C just rolls back the install.

Has anybody got past this yet?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kissanej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I saw the same problem installing Player 6.5.3 on Fedora 11 but got around it by killing the terminal running the install after it hangs and then running the command 'vmware-modconfig --console --install-all' afterwards. On a more positive note the 6.5.3 release compiles ok with the 2.6.29 kernel in Fedora 11 albeit with a slew of warnings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
50 Replies
psyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirming that I'm having the same issue...

0 Kudos
HKimijima
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been experiencing the same situation on Fedora11/i386 on ThinkPad X61s(Cere 2 Duo).

And I can't resolve the issue not yet.

A significant point is that as/cc1/gcc processes are locked up with "pipe_w" state while compiling some modules.

0 Kudos
hydetech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same situation with the kernel version 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64. :_|

Should we change to Virtualbox which has better support?

0 Kudos
rpdrum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fedora 11, 32 bit, latests patches and kernel version available. Same problem, exactly as described. Was really hoping that this realese would address some of the issues I was seeing in 6.5.2 under fedora 11 (I do understand this is not an officially supported linux distro).

0 Kudos
DGBrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also fail to understand why this is "unsupported" as a major user of Redhat 5 Enterprise I asked redhat what their Beta strategy is. They say that Fedora is their Beta strategy so we run Fedora to understand which products are going to crash an burn a Redhat 6 Enterprise. Looks like Vmware Workstation is on the list.

0 Kudos
nardusg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue on Ubuntu Karmic Smiley Sad And I am evaluating it ;(

0 Kudos
westlaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The same thing like 6.5.2 installation process - very stressful. It seems there's a problem write or read on the vmware config database (/etc/vmware/database). Under the origin FC11 install, the vmware installation is successfully. I think, you have an updated FC11 System, you have that problem. During the installation process you show the /var/log/vmware-installer file. Before the message

Using UI type gtk

Opening database file /etc/vmware/database

and the install hang up, you move the /etc/vmware/database. Then the install finished and you bring back vmware database file.

0 Kudos
nardusg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked for me Smiley Happy But why ? VMware fix it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
kissanej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I saw the same problem installing Player 6.5.3 on Fedora 11 but got around it by killing the terminal running the install after it hangs and then running the command 'vmware-modconfig --console --install-all' afterwards. On a more positive note the 6.5.3 release compiles ok with the 2.6.29 kernel in Fedora 11 albeit with a slew of warnings.

0 Kudos
rpdrum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Westlaus - thanks much! The workaround was successful. I agree very stressful. Now we'll see if this release is more compatible with Fedora 11.

0 Kudos
ken_lee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I couldn't quite follow this. What are the steps to get 6.5.3 to install on an updated Fedora 11 Kernel?

I tried the instuctions to quit the terminal window and run vmware-modconfig--console --install-all, but I only got the vmplayer, and am missing vmware. If I press CTRL-C, the installer removes all of the files after it hangs. I don't understand at what point to type gtk. With the rpm install, that doesn't seem to be an option, or I just don't get it. (Don't get what is meant by opening database? How? With what?

Thanks, Ken

0 Kudos
DGBrennan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK I have now got this working.

I downloaded the bundle and ran this:-

./VMware-Workstation-6.5.3-185404.x86_64.bundle --console --required

When it hung I killed -9 the process:-

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig-console --install-all

This is important as it ensures the bundle install continues and installs Workstation.

The bundle will then report that it is installed.

Then run:-

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Thanks for all your help guys

Dave

0 Kudos
psyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

westlaus, im trying this procedure and I get an error when it tries to compile the kernel modules. The prompt comes up as "The component vmware-player does not exist".

The "/tmp/vmware-root/setup-21298.log" shows:

Aug 25 21:27:48.219: app| Failed to install the module /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon.o to /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64/misc/vmmon.o.
Aug 25 21:29:08.036: app| Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.
Aug 25 21:29:08.047: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2
.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.1
Aug 25 21:29:08.927: app| The vmmon module loads perfectly in the running kernel.
Aug 25 21:29:08.927: app|
Aug 25 21:29:08.937: app| Registering file: /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --register-file vmware-player regular /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11
.x86_64/misc/vmmon.o

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
radikaled
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get a little farther than that but I still get stuck Smiley Sad

Aug 25 14:41:25.156: app| The vmmon module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

Aug 25 14:41:25.156: app|

Aug 25 14:41:25.165: app| Registering file: /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --register-file vmware-player regular /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64/misc/vmmon.o

Aug 25 14:41:25.314: app| Registering file: /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --register-file vmware-player regular /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64/misc/vmmon.ko

Aug 25 14:41:34.859: app| Extracting the sources of the vmnet module.

Aug 25 14:41:34.867: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.

0 Kudos
aybara
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear westlaus,

I don't know what I have done. But I followed your instructions (moved the /etc/vmware/database during the instllation process) an it works on FC11

0 Kudos
psyk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just an update... got it to work..

For those having trouble, open another two terminal sessions and "tail -f /var/log/vmware-installer" in one of them.

Watch the log scroll and you need to wait right up just before it says

Configured default networks - Bridged, Hostonly, NAT
Stopping cups:
Starting cups:
Using UI type gtk

in the other terminal session type "mv -v /etc/vmware/database /tmp/" just as the above appears.

Once it says "Installation Successfull" "mv -v /tmp/database /etc/vmware/" to move the database back.

The vmware modules compile successfully with a " vmware-modconfig --console --install-all"

...that is all.

thanks westlaus.

0 Kudos
Rastlinux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank for your steps. However it did not work for me. But was the catalyst to discovering the necessary steps.

In my case I also had Virtual Box loaded for evaluation.....

uname kernel level : 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64

+_rpm -qa | grep -i vmware_ +

removed anything other than: xorg-x11-drv-vmware-10.16.0-3.fc11.x86_64

that had a dependency to xorg-x11

rpm -qa | grep -i virtual

removed anything that was VirtualBox

Key:

Rebooted host.

Validate that nothing is left with rpm -qa search again.

I did not use the bundle file, but instead used the rpm file:

rpm -Uvh VMware-Workstation-6.5.3-185404.x86_64.rpm

from another terminal session:

ps -ef | grep vmware-modconfig | grep -v grep

Run this over an over from the moment it starts the hang part... somewhere around this output:

Installing VMware Installer 1.0

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installing VMware VIX API 1.6.3

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Copying files...

Configuring...

Then kill -9 the pid related to:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig-console --install-all

kill -9 <pid>

you should see within a few moments the install continue with a slew of warnings. I have a very fast system so you may have to wait longer.

You should end up with this final output.

Installing VMware Workstation 6.5.3

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installation was successful

If this does not work and the process goes defunct, you must kill the install, remove the RPM with "rpm -e" then reboot your system and try again.

I had to reboot a couple of times since the process went defunct on me.

When you are successful .........

now you can run:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

When you prompt returns, you should be able to start vmware

At least this was what I had to do to get mine working ...

Hopes this helps someone!!

lagriffe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Psyk's instructions worked for me, though it took a few tries to get my timing right on a fastish machine. If you cancel too early, VMPlayer won't get installed but the VMware installation will continue anyway, only to choke when you try to build the modules.

I've saved these instructions, since this is at least the second time I've encountered this same problem.

Thanks, psyk.

0 Kudos
slavek1979
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@westlaus,

mate you are a genius.

I followed your instructions (moved the /etc/vmware/database during the instllation process) an it works on FC11 x86_64.

Many thanks

cvaniak

0 Kudos