VMware Communities
tenly
Contributor
Contributor

Enable Routing between NAT Guest and Physical Host Subnets

I'm using VMWare Workstation 7.1 and I have a half dozen Guests configured with NAT networking on a 192.168.19.x subnet. My host (when on my home network) is a 192.168.1.x network. I have 6 other physical workstations and a printer on my 192.168.1.x network. I would like to enable some form of routing between my 192.168.1.x physical network and my 192.168.19.x virtual network so all of the machines can communicate with each other.

I do not want to switch to using Bridged networking because I need my guest machines to always keep their currently assigned IP addresses on 192.168.19.x no matter whether I'm at work, home or an airport. But when I'm at home, I want full communications with all other devices on my physical network.

Thanks in advance to any who offer advice.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tenly
Contributor
Contributor

Okay...after a lot of digging, I found out that this is not possible within OOTB VMWare Workstation.

I imported the (free) Vyatta Virtual Appliance - which includes a router and internet gateway and had to install and configure it to make it work.

I added 3 network adapters to the Vyatta appliance - 1 'bridged' and 1 each for my 2 'host-only' subnets.

Then it was as easy as specifying 3 routes. A default route through the bridged adapter, and 2 static routes for each of the host only subnets. Now Ifave full communication paths between my 2 host-only subnets, the physical network and the internet.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for coming back and posting the solution you found. This will help others on the forum!

0 Kudos
hallja3
Contributor
Contributor

My first post but definitely want to say THANK YOU. I have searched and searched for this and became a member so I could ask the question, but now not necessary. Thanks again.

0 Kudos