VMware Communities
soumenray
Contributor
Contributor

Dictionary problem in .VMX file

VMWare Workstation version : 12.0.0 build-2985596

Host OS version : Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

While attempting to open a Windows 7 x64 Virtual machine with Vmware Workstation, I was prompted with the 'VMX file is corrupt' error message.

Using the instructions detailed at HowTo: Recreating a .vmx from the vmware.log file I was able to recreate the .VMX file

However, now when I attempt to open the VM with the new VMX file, I am seeing the 'Dictionary Problem' error message. (refer attachement)DictionaryProblem.JPG

How should I resolve this issue ?

I am also providing the VMWare.Log and the VMX file for further scrutiny.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Please find attached a new vmx file created from your vmware.log file.

EDIT: I compared it to your .vmx and it is the same.

Did you copy the vmx file on top of your existing vmx file with Workstation shut down?

FWIW, I'm not getting a dictionary error on your .vmx file down here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
soumenray
Contributor
Contributor

Wila, thanks for the reply.

However, I am still seeing the same error using the VMX file you provided.

I copied the NEW vmx file after deleting the older one.

The VMX file got corrupted while I was trying to revert to a snapshot and thats where it all started.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes,  as I mentioned above in the edit, the vmx file I supplied is exactly the same as the on your supplied.

I hadn't read your post thoroughly before i posted the answer the first time and thought that this was a standard "hello my .vmx is corrupt" question instead of a "I recreated a vmx from .log" one.

I copied the NEW vmx file after deleting the older one.

Which doesn't' exactly answer the question if you had Workstation shut down when updating the vmx, although I suspect you did.

The VMX file got corrupted while I was trying to revert to a snapshot and thats where it all started.

Please attach the support-bundle which you can generate from the help menu in Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
soumenray
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I closed all open instances of VMWare Workstation prior to replacing the VMX file.

support-bundle attached, as requested.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The VM folder in the support bundle where info about your guest is supposed to be is completely empty. Not sure what happened there.

So I'm afraid the support bundle doesn't help, as far as I'm concerned you can remove that file again (use the "edit" option on the forum)

The next step I would normally do is to verify if the virtual disks that are referred to in the vmx actually exists.

In your case there should be a:

Windows 7 x64-000013.vmdk

and

Windows 7 x64-0-000013.vmdk

and

Windows 7 x64-1-000012.vmdk

if ALL disks existed before you created your snapshots then it is a bit strange that one disk has a different suffix number, but without seeing the full snapshot chain that is difficult to say.

You can test the snapshots chains for the above files by running them via vmware-vdiskmanager while in the Virtual Machine folder.

Eg;

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager -e "Windows 7 x64-000013.vmdk"

Repeat that for the other 2 files.

Then you can also verify your disks using the -R option.

See the following link for a printout of the help (or run the command without options)

http://www.vi-toolkit.com/wiki/index.php/Vmware-vdiskmanager

IMPORTANT: Before you apply ANY more rescue, troubleshooting steps do make a FULL copy of the virtual machine folder to another -preferably external- disk.

That way even if you end up making a mistake your data will still be there, albeit in another disk.

--

Wil

0 Kudos