VMware Communities
mlfatty
Contributor
Contributor

Connect 4 virtual machines to a physical quad NIC

I have vmware workstation 10 and I created four Win7 virtual machines. Host PC has onboard NIC as well as an added quad NIC. Host PC will only use the onboard NIC. The 4 virtual machines will use the quad NIC to connect to my physical Cisco switch. Basically I want each virtual machine to connect to an individual port on the physical Cisco switch. For example, VM1 connects to port fa0/1 on Cisco switch, VM2 connects to fa0/2 on Cisco switch.. etc.  Does anyone know how to set this up or know of a documentaion that will help me set this up?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
karthikg2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Mifatty,

To use different network adapter for each virtual machine:

1. From the Workstation 10.x menu click on Edit > Virtual Network Editor

2. Click on Add Network... > VMnet2 through VMnet19 and configure them to be on Bridged and Bridged to specific network adapter on the host

3. Now go back to the virtual machine and select Edit virtual machine settings > Network Adapter > Custom (and specific the newly created VMnet's as per requirement)

Done :smileycool:

0 Kudos
mlfatty
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried that but it didn't work.

I added vmnet2 and bridged it to the 4-port NIC(Realtek_Quad_NIC). Added vmnet3 but the Realtek_Quad_NIC adapter was not available for bridging(probably because it's being used by vmnet2). I want each vmnet to use only one of the 4 ports of the adapter. So if all goes wel, I'll end up bridging vmnet2 to Realtek_Quad_NIC_port_01, vmnet3 to Realtek_Quad_NIC_port_02, vmnet4 to Realtek_Quad_NIC_port_03,  vmnet5 to Realtek_Quad_NIC_port_04.

Quad_NIC.jpg

0 Kudos
packetpilot
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to achieve the same thing with a Cisco lab.

Did you ever get solution for this?

0 Kudos