VMware Communities
em2slyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configure virtual network settings using command line

Hi Folks:

I manage computer labs that host VMware Workstation Pro at school and configure the virtual network using the vnetlib.exe program (as documented in the VMware communities and by sanbarrow) so all the computers have identical settings. Unfortunately, there are two settings that I can't seem to figure out how to modify via command line, registry, or configuration file that would fully automate the process. Here are the two settings causing problems:

1. Disable DHCP service on VMnet1--This is performed manually by launching the Virtual Network Editor, selecting the VMnet1 (Host-Only) network, and unchecking the option Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs.

2. Specify a network adapter for the VMnet0 bridged network--This is performed manually by launching the Virtual Network Editor, selecting the VMnet0 (Bridged) network, and choosing the physical network adapter in the Bridged to drop down list. We also install Nmap on our workstations which adds the virtual npcap loopback adapter (also used for Wireshark) to the bridged to list. When the Bridged to drop down list is set to Automatic, half the computers select the npcap loopback adapter instead of the physical network work adapter.

I would like to know if there is a way to configure these settings by 1) using vnetlib,exe program, 2) modifying the registry, or 3) changing the contents of a configuration file. Your input is appreciated. Thanks!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Shaun

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Shaun

I have instructions for that on my website - but these instructions are quite old.

You probably need vnetlib-64 nowadays ...

Anyway - check
https://sanbarrow.com/network/commandlineguide2vnets.html
https://sanbarrow.com/network/cmdguide2workstation.htm

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

2. just an idea - have not tested it myself ....

- query registry and get the instance IDs for the available physical adapters

- stop vmnetbridge

- edit registry and create the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VMnetBridge\Parameters\Adapters\{7A0ADF8D-6841-4DA9-842C-E1975BB7A097}

(of course replace with the ID you need in your case)

- start vmnetbridge

0 Kudos
em2slyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying!

I've used these sites and have found them very helpful! The only setting that I could not control was disabling local DHCP service for a single virtual network (i.e. VMnet1). Any ideas or pointers how to do that? Thanks!

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Shaun

0 Kudos