VMware Communities
jmchristopher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot take ownership of two machines after power failure

Greetings... Recently I experienced a power failure at my office when I was running two different virtual machines. Upon restarting, I am unable to connect to the machines as VMWare tells me "This virutal machine appears to be in use." If I press the "Take Ownership" button, it immediantely returns with a dialog box indicating "Taking ownership of this virtual machine failed." How do I unlock these machines?

Thanks in advance

Jason

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

First shut down VMware Workstation then go and have a look at the folders where your virtual machines are stored.

It is highly likely that you will see some .lck or .lock files and/or folders. Which ones you will see (lck or lock) depends on the version of your VMware product.

Delete those files (move them to another folder if you are more comfortable with that) and then go back to VMware Workstation.

Open those virtual machines again and chances are pretty big that they will work as they used to be.

good luck!

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

23 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

First shut down VMware Workstation then go and have a look at the folders where your virtual machines are stored.

It is highly likely that you will see some .lck or .lock files and/or folders. Which ones you will see (lck or lock) depends on the version of your VMware product.

Delete those files (move them to another folder if you are more comfortable with that) and then go back to VMware Workstation.

Open those virtual machines again and chances are pretty big that they will work as they used to be.

good luck!

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
jmchristopher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!! I'm in!

Jason Christopher

Rockwell Automation

Phone: 585-750-8053

http://www.rockwellautomation.com<http://www.rockwellautomation.com/

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Great to hear that it helped.

Thanks for the points!

--

Wil

0 Kudos
kvclarkusa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil--

I encountered this very same issue this week and this solution worked great. For anyone else who has this problem, I documented the symptoms and steps I took in a little more detail on my blog:

Thanks again!

Ken

0 Kudos
JustinKohnen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil-

It might be been three years since your post, but you solution worked great for me.

Once I deleted the .lck folder, VMWare Workstation 6.0 let me back into the VM

Thanks for the Help,

Justin

0 Kudos
romieb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil,

Thank you very much! This solution worked for me as well and I'm using a VMWare player.

0 Kudos
mcsewillnotbeat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

This happened to me when I couldn't shut down properly. This answer has solved my problem!

I have had to visit these communities alot since I'm new trying virtualization and have been helped alot by posts on here.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
wgl3Dev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked great for me also... Thanks

0 Kudos
KannanSubramani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil - Thanks, I faced same issue today and your fix helped to resolve. Appreciate it!.

0 Kudos
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Had this circumstance hit me (yet again), this time after a laptop was running a VM, and the laptop wasn't shut down properly. Same fix for this very old issue, even on VMware Workstation 10.  Decided to record video and write a short post about this simple fix:

www.tinkertry.com/how-to-resolve-this-virtual-machine-appears-to-be-in-use-error-in-vmware-workstati...

TinkerTry.com
0 Kudos
aleeuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In may case a reboot was also needed - but YES again thanks to all the procedure works

0 Kudos
Nkapure11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Open your Virtual machine Path inside the file plz delete .lck or .lock file and then try . your problem will resolved

Thank you,

@Nikhil Kapure

0 Kudos
Arpit723
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, it solved my problem. So, precise and very good answer, thanks

0 Kudos
numanarvas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

your comment helped me after 9 years since you wrote.  Thanks a lot @wila

clinx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another big THANK YOU !

And thank google for finding this thread and putting it up top.

0 Kudos
PaulLabbe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, I launched VmWare as Administrator and was able to open, then close the Vm, which removed the locks. I logged out of VmWare and launched it again with my user account. I was then able to open the Vm.

MrMeowington
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Paul--

Thank you! I can now access my virtual machines using that simple method.

I guess opening it as an admin was all it needed!

0 Kudos
danielski25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not see this answered here. If I click Remove, are my VMs toast?

Ty

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> If I click Remove ....
Removing lock-files will not harm your VM.
If you meant something else - please be more specific.

0 Kudos