VMware Communities
red888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't change subnet mask of virtual adapter in 7.1.3 (opensuse 11.4)

Had this problem before with 7.0 on suse 11.2, but I forget how i "fixed" it. This is pretty irritating considering I found nothing on google concerning this. I hope this is just my ingnorance with the software and not an actual problem, but when I try to edit a vmnet adapter, as Host-only, I have no option to change the subnet mask. I've seen tutorials where you just have that option, but i do not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use a very simple shell script to make modifications to the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure that are not available on Linux Hosts through the Virtual Network Editor in Linux version of VMware Workstation.  Note that there may be other ways however this is what has worked for me.  Also note that changes to the value of any parameter that is not a proper value will cause failures and this is why I have the scrip run the commands with the verbose switch and check the ifconfig and VMware Network Status before and after making the changes and you'll see that in the attached shell script.

If you don't what to use the attached script then in a Terminal as root or using sudo:

sudo /usr/bin/vmware-networks --stop -v
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/networking /etc/vmware/networking.backup
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf.backup
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf.backup
sudo nano /etc/vmware/networking
sudo nano /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf
sudo /usr/bin/vmware-networks --start -v
sudo /usr/bin/vmware-netcfg

In the attached shell script you'll see the following note regarding the use of in the script or why this is being done manually:

# NOTE: Load the VMware Virtual Network Editor and then click the OK button.
    #    This is being done for two reasons, one is to validate the settings
    #    and the other is to create a new DHCP_CFG_HASH in the networking file.
    #
    #    Be sure to review the 'Current Status after editing...' for any errors.

echo
echo  Starting VMware Virtual Network Editor...
echo

As I said there may be other ways and unfortunately VMware is very tight lipped about what they don't document to be release to the public, which sadly is very little.  It's also so senseless that the Windows version doesn't have this limitation however I guess I really shouldn't be surprised since VMware removed the Virtual Network Editor altogether from VMware Player for Linux and does not install it for the VMware Player for Windows even though it's in the Windows Install Package. Go Figure! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Launch the "Virtual Network Editor" which is installed alongside VMware Workstation.

When you launch the "Virtual Network Editor" click on the "vmnet1" adapter as this is the default adapter for the "Host-Only" network option.

Down the bottom of the "Virtual Network Editor" window you should see an area to specify the Subnet IP and the Subnet Mask 

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Launch the "Virtual Network Editor" which is installed alongside VMware Workstation.

When you launch the "Virtual Network Editor" click on the "vmnet1" adapter as this is the default adapter for the "Host-Only" network option.

Down the bottom of the "Virtual Network Editor" window you should see an area to specify the Subnet IP and the Subnet Mask 

Do you know the product of the company you're working for? Smiley Happy

The OP is using the Linux version of VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and you cannot change the Subnet Mask from the Virtual Network Editor as show in the image below.  It has to be done manually and red888 I'll post directions shortly.

Edit: Deleted the embedded image as it was not showing the Subnet mask: field unless the image was clicked and have attached it as a file.

As you can plainly see the Subnet mask: field is not editable. Smiley Wink

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use a very simple shell script to make modifications to the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure that are not available on Linux Hosts through the Virtual Network Editor in Linux version of VMware Workstation.  Note that there may be other ways however this is what has worked for me.  Also note that changes to the value of any parameter that is not a proper value will cause failures and this is why I have the scrip run the commands with the verbose switch and check the ifconfig and VMware Network Status before and after making the changes and you'll see that in the attached shell script.

If you don't what to use the attached script then in a Terminal as root or using sudo:

sudo /usr/bin/vmware-networks --stop -v
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/networking /etc/vmware/networking.backup
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf.backup
sudo cp -p /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf.backup
sudo nano /etc/vmware/networking
sudo nano /etc/vmware/vmnet1/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf

In the attached shell script you'll see the following note regarding the use of in the script or why this is being done manually:

# NOTE: Load the VMware Virtual Network Editor and then click the OK button.
    #    This is being done for two reasons, one is to validate the settings
    #    and the other is to create a new DHCP_CFG_HASH in the networking file.
    #
    #    Be sure to review the 'Current Status after editing...' for any errors.

echo
echo  Starting VMware Virtual Network Editor...
echo

As I said there may be other ways and unfortunately VMware is very tight lipped about what they don't document to be release to the public, which sadly is very little.  It's also so senseless that the Windows version doesn't have this limitation however I guess I really shouldn't be surprised since VMware removed the Virtual Network Editor altogether from VMware Player for Linux and does not install it for the VMware Player for Windows even though it's in the Windows Install Package. Go Figure! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
red888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool. I won't have time to test this right now, but I'll take your word for it. That screenshot you posted is exactly what I get. Thanks for the script! Its also good to know it wasn't just a stupid click click thing I couldn't find in the gui.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cool. I won't have time to test this right now, but I'll take your word for it.

It works, it what I use.  Just remember that any value you change has to be a legitimate value or it will not function properly.

That screenshot you posted is exactly what I get. Thanks for the script! Its also good to know it wasn't just a stupid click click thing I couldn't find in the gui.

In the Windows version editing the subnet mask is a "click click thing". Smiley Wink

0 Kudos