VMware Communities
Clearly_A_Midge
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Unninstall VMWare Bridge Protocol from internet settings

Hey guys,

First of all I would like to say that I am not an expert on computers and VPN and these types of things so when you give me some advice or a possible solution, I would appreciate it if it was more of a "noob-friendly" explanation.

I installed VMWare workstation so I could use a MAC OSX simulator on Windows 10...I tried and it didn´t work so i decided to unninstall it.

However, ever since I unninstalled there were some residual files that I managed to delete on REGEDIT with the help of some forums but there are some that I CAN'T DELETE! (because it says its running on another program). On my internet properties i have a checked box saying VMWare Bridge Protocol and, when I try to unninstall it, it comes up with the following error:

• It wasn't possible to install the component VMWare bridge protocol. Error 0x8007007E

This constitutes a big problem because I was using a DNS (So i could bypass the geolocation block from NETFLIX), and now I can't change back to "Automatically obtain DNS server access" (Which i need to change because NETFLIX is now blocking custom proxys and such) so I can use my normal VPN...which also prevents me from using various other programs that are VPN or DNS based. When I try to change it this error comes up:

• An unexpected condition occurred. Not all of your requested changes in settings could be made. - I read that this happens because there is a bridge network configured, which i assume is VMWare because i've seen people with the same problem

I saw somewhere that the reason I get the the first error (Error 0x8007007E) is because it cannot find a certain driver for it to be able to unninstall and that I needed to find the CLSID files on regedit or something...but i HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THAT.

I'll post the pictures so you can see the errors that I am getting...it´s in portuguese but i translated the errors here in the text

CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

Below there are three images that illustrate what happens when I try to change for automatic DNS. (An unexpected condition occurred. Not all of your requested changes in settings could be made)

Error for DNS Changing.pngerror for dns changing 2.png                                                                                                                                              error dns change.png

And here is the error when I try to unninstall Vmware Bridge Protocol (It wasn't possible to install the component VMWare bridge protocol. Error 0x8007007E):

error VMWARE.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure what residual files left when you uninstall Workstation, you can re-install Workstation again and follow the KB to uninstall --  VMware KB: Cleaning up after an incomplete uninstallation on a Windows host  .You can remove the VMware Bridge Protocal first with the related driver files, thanks.

0 Kudos
Clearly_A_Midge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your answer...I will try those steps but I doubt it will work. I tried before to install again and after that, unninstalling the vmware bridge protocol and it didnt work (same error). but maybe i did something wrong.

I will tell you if it works Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue but it is not trivial to fix.
I usually use Windows booted into recovery mode or into a PE-CD to do it.
You have to load the system hive of the Windows on disk and then delete a few keys - often you also have to change permissions for those keys as WS-setup sometimes changes permissions so that it is almost impossible to uninstall the regular way.
I cant give you a complete list because for some keys instanceIDs are used that will vary on every setup.
If necessary call me via skype
Ulli

0 Kudos
Martin_Forster_
Contributor
Contributor

You have to delete this Registy entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3d09c1ca-2bcc-40b7-b9bb-3f3ec143a87b}

0 Kudos