VMware Communities
techstyled
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can not minimize Guest in Fullscreen when Remoting into Host

I've searched for an answer to this but either I'm the only one having this problem or there's such a simple resolution that I'm the only one dense enough not to be able to figure it out.

I am running Windows Server 2008 as my Host OS and I have several VM's of various OS's. I seldom use my Host for anything other than running my VM's, IOW, my main "system" is a VM. I usually keep this Guest VM in Fullscreen mode. I'll go home for the day and Remote back to work and never usually have any problems unless for some reason I need to Remote into the Host. Unless I've been anticipating needing to Remote into the Host and have already "restored" or minimized VMWare from Fullscreen at the Host, the only way I can figure out how to see the real Host desktop (instead of seeing the fullscreen version of the Guest OS) when I Remote into the Host is to first shut down all the VM's one by one via Remote.

I bet there's a setting or some way to cause this to happen from the Host or Guest when Remoted in but I haven't found such.

Any ideas.

(For clarity, here's how to re-create my dilemma: Boot your Host. Run VMWare Workstation. Start a VM. Click on the Fullscreen button in the VMWare app to make the VM show in Fullscreen. Remote into the Host. At this point your Remote into the Host will only show the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to Login" desktop of the Guest. Furthermore, you won't have any Chrome on either the Host or the Guest or anywhere else I can see that will allow you to change this situation, i.e. be able to interact with the Host.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I tried your steps, and what I saw was the Remote Desktop fullscreen toolbar was covering up the Workstation fullscreen toolbar. Is this the situation you're talking about? If so, you can click the Restore button on the Remote Desktop fullscreen toolbar, and then you'll be able to get to the WS toolbar and leave fullscreen mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I tried your steps, and what I saw was the Remote Desktop fullscreen toolbar was covering up the Workstation fullscreen toolbar. Is this the situation you're talking about? If so, you can click the Restore button on the Remote Desktop fullscreen toolbar, and then you'll be able to get to the WS toolbar and leave fullscreen mode.

0 Kudos
techstyled
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are assuming that I realized that I could "pin" the WS toolbar Smiley Happy

Once I realized that you apparently could still see the WS toolbar, I got it.

I knew it would be something simple, just didn't occur to me until your response.

Thanks.

0 Kudos