VMware Communities
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor

Can VMware Workstation v. 6.5.5 build-328052 be installed in a Windows 8 (64-bit) environment?

I have been running this workstation in a Vista environemnt (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) for at least the last 2-3 years.  My objective has been to run a number of older, 16-bit dBASE programs that I developed in an earlier century.  Recently, my laptop crashed and I invested in a new one, which comes with the Windows 8 (64-bit) platform.  Can my version of VMware be installed in a Windows 8 environment?  I would probably install a 32-bit version of Vista or XP as my guest system.  (Since the Vista came with my crashed laptop, I suppose I would have to find another copy of the software for installation.)

Or, has Windows 8 built into its system zero capability of running any 16- bit software?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Gordon

Houston, Texas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Workstation 6.5.5 officially was not built to run on a 64-bit Windows Host OS, and also Windows 8 was not in existence while Workstation 6.5.5 was released.

0 Kudos
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your post.  I have been running the above version of Workstation on my Vista Home Premium platform (64-bit) for the last three years without a problem.  I purchased it knowing that I had a 64-bit machine, because I needed access to a 16-bit capability.  Hence, I installed 32-bit versions of Vista and XP as guest operating systems.

Is there a VMware sales contact that you know of that could address this question?   The alternative, I suppose, is to attempt to install the software in my Windows 8 environment to see what happens.

Gordon

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Workstation 6.x is not available any more & it has reached end of general support on 10/01/2011, you can try and install the same in your Win8 Host OS.

0 Kudos
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install successfully the Workstation on my Windows 8 laptop, and I was able to add Windows XP as the guest system.

I am having a problem in having the guest system recognize USB devices (Error code 4), which issue I have posted separately.  Otherwise, Windows 8 does not appear to present a problem to one's using an older version of Workstation,

Gordon

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos