VMware Communities
mesinuap
Contributor
Contributor

Bypass gameguard

Help me to bypass this gameguard .
my vmware is hardened already and bypass the "sorry this application cant run in virtual machine"
but after i launch the game, the gameguard will force my vm to shutdown . 

what can i do to prevent this ? 

here is the log 

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The publisher of the game is obviously taking a pretty hard stance against running it in a virtual machine. It's obvious that they are looking for some attribute that indicates they're running in a virtual machine, and when they do they think they're doing you a favor and shutting down the VM for you. Without knowing what they are checking for, it would be a tedious trial and error process to come up with any kind of hack on the VMware side to possibly get around this. That is, if one even exists. And I'm sure the publisher is not going to tell you how to get around the block.

Alternatively check gamer boards - perhaps they know what the game is looking for and how to bypass it.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
mesinuap
Contributor
Contributor

what is gamer board? 

for reference, the game is : https://sealsavage.com/  
it is only a private server game , so they dont have any license of the game , so basically its not illegal to do this. 

super curious because this is the first time i cant bypass seal online private server with the "hardening" method. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I did not imply any illegality or license violation. Some publishers simply do not want you to run their software on virtual machines for any number of reasons. For online games, I've heard the argument for refusal to run on.a virtual machine to discourage what they consider a form of "cheating" by a single individual running multiple instances of a game. Or it could be simply that they're detecting a configuration that they never tested or support.

By "gamer board" I'm referring to any other web community that caters to the gaming community. I'm not sure if a community exists for your game or not - but I suspect it does.

If it's refusing to run because of detecting it's running on a VM, without knowing what the game is looking for, it's difficult without lengthy trial and error to determine what can be changed to run the game.

If your game requires 3D acceleration, have you followed the instructions in the Workstation documentation (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/16.0/workstation-player-16-windows-... ) to use Acclerated 3D graphics? (the link you gave indicated that DX9 is required)

Not sure what you mean by "hardening method"? What have you done to a virtual machine to achieve this "hardening"?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
mesinuap
Contributor
Contributor

my VM can run 3d acceleration without problem , its just the gameguard/anti-VM forcing soft shut down command (as in the log file).

by hardening i mean doing this step : https://github.com/hzqst/VmwareHardenedLoader

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That's a pretty serious hack to the guest VM to get it to remove descriptions in the guest OS's device tables.

Some quick research on the web is showing that GameGuard is a very, very restrictive piece of software, protecting against cheating and hacking. There are even reports of it installing as a rootkit - doing its dirty work behind the scenes below the operating system. Nothing that I've been able to find in my research on GameGuard (although it's not exhaustive) is indicating that anyone has found a way to stop it. 

Take it up with the game developers. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos