VMware Communities
Crisafullicon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged Network not Working

No matter what I do bridged networking fails. I have tried every recommendation online and still nothing. My version is 17.5.1.

NAT works fine.

With bridged eth0 gets no IP address and ping returns 'connect: network unreachable'

I have tried selecting and deselecting Replicate physical network connection state.
I have tried Custom network- VMnet0
I have selected one adapter at a time and checked, I have tried with all of them selected at once.
I have tried net stop and start vmnetbridge commands.
I had also tried some random commands on Kali Linux
I have disabled all other network adapters on the host machine.
I have uninstalled the bridged adapter and reinstalled it using the repair feature of the installer.

I have seen other posts about downgrading to 17.0.0 but I have some vm's I want to maintain in their current state. Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In your case, "one of these is not like the others:. Your bridged network is "piggy backing" on top of an existing Wi-Fi connection. Your other devices have unique connections to the Wi-Fi. 

It's a possibility that the hotel's DHCP server doesn't want to hand out another IP address to a device (or Wi-Fi connection) that it already has handed out an address to. You won't know that unless you have access to the DHCP server and inspect its logging. Which, as you say, you can't. 

You might be faced with having to use NAT until you get back to an environment that you have the ability to troubleshoot further. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I understand its Workstation 17.5.1.

Can you share the specs of your host (hardware and OS)? That might help with potential troubleshooting tips that are different from what you've already tried. 

0 Kudos
Crisafullicon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gladly! My host machine is an HP Windows 11 pro laptop, my network adapter is an Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz, i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz, only 8 GB of RAM but that shouldn't affect this as the machines work well with NAT.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you checked the DHCP server on your network that's handing out IP addresses to see that it's getting the request for an address for your bridged network?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Crisafullicon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have not, I am currently at a hotel on public Wi-Fi. My laptop and other devices are able to receive an IP though. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In your case, "one of these is not like the others:. Your bridged network is "piggy backing" on top of an existing Wi-Fi connection. Your other devices have unique connections to the Wi-Fi. 

It's a possibility that the hotel's DHCP server doesn't want to hand out another IP address to a device (or Wi-Fi connection) that it already has handed out an address to. You won't know that unless you have access to the DHCP server and inspect its logging. Which, as you say, you can't. 

You might be faced with having to use NAT until you get back to an environment that you have the ability to troubleshoot further. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)