VMware Communities
tuaris
Contributor
Contributor

Bridge Guest to (VLAN) Interface on Host

I have a Realtek PCI GBE network controller on a Window host attached to a VLAN capable switch.   On the switch it is using 802.1Q based VLANs.  I have a port setup to tag outgoing frames.  The port also has a PVID setup as well (for any untagged frames to get tagged to a default VLAN ID).

• On the Windows host I used the "Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility" to create a virtual network interface to 'connect' to the VLAN.
  • In VMWare's Virtual Network Editor I have created a "bridged" network to the virtual interface created above.
  • The guest virtual machine's network adapter is configured to use the bridged network.

The Windows host is able to communicate properly with other peers in the VLAN using the virtual interface. 

The virtual machine guest is having difficulty communicating with other peers.  It can ping, make simple TCP connections, and even open a SSH session on the console.  It fails when doing some more 'heavy' stuff such as opening a web page, connecting to SMB shares, etc..  Oddly, the VM guest can communicate with the host machine on the same VLAN with no issues.

0 Kudos
0 Replies