VMware Communities
adel87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

An error occurred while restoring the virtual machine

hi every one

i have pause my vmware and when i try to restore it i have this error

"An error occurred while restoring the virtual machine state from file "C:\Users\Asus\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2008 R2 x64\Windows Server 2008 R2 x64-acc901af.vmss"

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My suggestion would be to remove the Suspended State file (.vmss) from the Virtual Machine.  Note that deleting the suspend state has the same effect as performing a hard reset of the virtual machine, or pushing the Reset button on a physical computer, in that any unsaved data in open applications is lost!  However if the VM won't resume then I do not see any other choice to attempt to run the Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My suggestion would be to remove the Suspended State file (.vmss) from the Virtual Machine.  Note that deleting the suspend state has the same effect as performing a hard reset of the virtual machine, or pushing the Reset button on a physical computer, in that any unsaved data in open applications is lost!  However if the VM won't resume then I do not see any other choice to attempt to run the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
adel87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

dear thank you but why vmware can't not resume my suspended state

Thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Suffice it to say there is more then one reason this can occur and one would have to examine log files and possibly ascertain additional information and possibly have test physical hardware like the heath of the block storage device and RAM, etc.  If this is an isolated incident I wouldn't worry to much however if this is a frequent and or recurring issue then further investigation is warranted.  That said there is no substitution for and good reason for not be maintaining proper ongoing backups of your system, both physical and virtual, so as to be able to recover from any computer related event that causes an issue! Smiley Wink  So I hope you're maintaining proper ongoing backups! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
adel87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

dear thank you please how i can make a backup for my vmware

I'm using vmware to learn windows server 2008 R2

Thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking, the same way you'd backup anything else on your computer! Smiley Wink

Also have a look at: Best practices when backing up a VMware Workstation virtual machine (2006202)

0 Kudos