VMware Communities
tasikas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After upgrading from 15 to 16 licence Key not valid

I have my Licence key for years and it worked on many versions but not until I upgraded to 16.0.0 on Linux. Any know issues? Or I have to buy a new licence?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to upgrade your licence.

The table here has pricing: Announcing VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12 - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Major upgrade releases always have had new licence keys (15.x -> 16.x).

There were minor releases and just needed the same key from the same major release (i.e. 15.5 just needed a 15.x key, as did 12.5.x, 6.5.x, 5.5.x).

I must say I haven't tried using a key from one major release on another. I just assumed it won't accept it.

Unless you have a key that seem to have a fluke all these years, major releases always have had new licence keys issued when corresponding upgrade purchase.

loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> I have my Licence key for years and it worked on many versions but not until I upgraded to 16.0.0 on Linu

for sure not - major upgrades *always* require a new license or what do you think are the renewal-prices versus new licences are for the past 15 years?

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to upgrade your licence.

The table here has pricing: Announcing VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12 - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

for sure not - major upgrades *always* require a new license or what do you think are the renewal-prices versus new licences are for the past 15 years?

Huh??

A new major release (11.x --> 12.x, 14.x -->15.x, etc.) have ALWAYS required a new(different) license key!  New versus upgrade pricing is merely that - the cost.

loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Huh??

i said "major upgrades *always* require a new license" and you repsond with "A new major release (11.x --> 12.x, 14.x -->15.x, etc.) have ALWAYS required a new(different) license key"

0 Kudos