VMware Communities
tricky911t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

6.5.1 Mouse dragging works on primary not additional monitors

The mouse drag only works properly on the 1monitor using Windows monitor identifier. On the 2nd or subsequent monitor, the mouse drag lasts for about a second before it drops the object just as if I have let go of holding the left mouse button.

Running V64U host 8gb, 4 monitors, any guest windows os displays this problem on the guest os and my guests are set to display on 3 of the 4 monitors.

Using a MS blue USB mouse. Is it worth changing mouse to a ps2 connector in case its something to do with the USB through put of data?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MadElk
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a solution for this Tricky? I have the same issue and this is the first time I've seen someone else mention it.

0 Kudos
vinsont
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same problem. I have even opened a case with VMWARE which after a couple of phone calls they have been ignoring.

My case number: 1137432991

Maybe we can gang up on them.

0 Kudos
MadElk
Contributor
Contributor

What's your system setup?

I have 64 bit vista, 2 ATI cards and 4 screens.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Tommy,

In your case it should have been communicated to you that a bug report was filed and submitted to engineering to further investigate your issue..

Not much support can do at this point in time, until the issue has been reproduced and fixed in a future release of the product should it indeed be a software defect.

0 Kudos
vinsont
Contributor
Contributor

I have found two other people on the VMWARE Community Board with the exact

same problem,... It's a bug for sure.

0 Kudos
MadElk
Contributor
Contributor

While I hate to give an easy excuse and a way to 'pass the buck' it could just as easily be a problem with the 64bit ATI driver. I expect there must be a commonality between these problems.

0 Kudos
tricky911t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case I was using 2 Sapphire HD 4850x2 2gb which supports 4 DVI per card. Becuase of other driver issues I'm only running on one card and 3 monitors at the moment but what I found to be the solution for me was to reinstall the graphics driver, then do a clean install of the 6.5.1 workstation then it would work as expected. PITA I know but the only way I got drag n drop to work.

You might be able to get away with reinstalling the VMware client tools service on the affected clients as a possible workaround to reinstalling 6.5.1 but basically if you upgrade your graphics driver then a full uninstall and reinstall got it working.

FWIW

0 Kudos
tricky911t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case I was using 2 Sapphire HD 4850x2 2gb which supports 4 DVI per card. Becuase of other driver issues I'm only running on one card and 3 monitors at the moment but what I found to be the solution for me was to reinstall the graphics driver, then do a clean install of the 6.5.1 workstation then it would work as expected. PITA I know but the only way I got drag n drop to work.

You might be able to get away with reinstalling the VMware client tools service on the affected clients as a possible workaround to reinstalling 6.5.1 but basically if you upgrade your graphics driver then a full uninstall and reinstall got it working.

FWIW

0 Kudos
vinsont
Contributor
Contributor

My card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

0 Kudos
Eenus
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm ..... interesting,

Happens on my work laptop on both monitors primary and secondary. Even happens on primary when secondary disabled.

Very annoying !!!!

Anyone got a workyround ?

Does it happen on previous versions ?

Think my card is NVIDIA FX 2500M

0 Kudos
vinsont
Contributor
Contributor

After speaking with VMWare on a few occasions, I think they finally gave up. This problem really needs to be fixed. I am not going forward with any new VM purchases until this is fixed.

0 Kudos
vinsont
Contributor
Contributor

I have new information on this old problem. While doing a upgrade to Windows seven (64bit Version) I grab an old copy of my virtual development enviroment to fire up first just to be safe everything was going to work correctly. When the XP operating system came up in VM Workstation I got the message I need to upgrade VM Tools as I expected and so I did. When I finished dual monitor support worked and I thought "Finally they got it fixed!" but my joy was premature. When I grabbed my current copy of my development environment with confidence I wouldn't encounter andy problems and fired it up. I did not get the message to update VM Tools but I did so manually and to my dismay dual monitors did not work properly as described thoughout this thread.

My Conclusion - I have a copy of my development environment that works therefore the problem can't be the hardware because I am running both VM's on the same computer.

0 Kudos