VMware Communities
djdave238
Contributor
Contributor

150Mbps Max in VMWare

I have a Windows 10 Pro host with a PCIE Gigabit NIC, running a Windows Server 2019 guest in VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.7 (Build 17171714). I also have Comcast/Xfinity 400 Mbps internet.

Using Google Speedtest:

• The host machine clocks 400-450 Mbps downstream and 10-12 Mbps upstream.

• The guest machine clocks only 100-150 Mbps downstream and struggles to reach 10 Mbps upstream.

I've Googled this, and while I found similar situations, the only applicable solution I came up with was changing the virtual ethernet card to "e1000" or "vmxnet3" in the *.vmx file, but it was already set to "e1000e" and changing it made it worse (–50 Mbps or totally broken, respectively). Most solutions seemed to be specific to some sort of VMWare cloud/cluster implementation that I don't have.

The guest OS reports the hardware as an "Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection" (Driver 12.15.22.6), but doing a speedtest in Google seems to suggest it's not living up to its nomenclature.

Is there anything to be done for this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The NIC is entirely virtual - it doesn't matter that it is reported as "gigabit" in the guest OS, that's just the driver for the particular virtual hardware device type for an "e1000e" adapter.

What is your host CPU? What is the CPU configuration of the VM?

How much RAM do you have? What is the memory configuration of the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos