VMware Communities
banjaxster
Contributor
Contributor

vmplayer network problem

Hello,

I installed the vmware player on my windows 7 machine,and installed windows xp in a virtual machine.

It works fine being able to go on the internet but my problem is I want to run a worldgroup server on windows xp.

I can not figure out how to make it let the users logon from the internet, what settings i need so users can logon.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it depends on how you are connected to the Internet. In case you use a router, you need to configure port forwarding in order to allow incoming traffic to your VM, and the VM has to be configured with Bridged networking.

André

0 Kudos
banjaxster
Contributor
Contributor

Ok

I set the vm to bridged and the ip address i get is 192.168.0.37,so now in my router i set port forwading for port 23(telnet) to that address?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, this should work.However, you may want to configure a static IP address for the VM, so that you don't have to reconfigure the router on each address change and to avoid the risk that another system might receive this IP address for whatever reason and can be accessed from the Internet.

I assume you are aware of the risk and configured your system appropriately!?

André

0 Kudos
banjaxster
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have a static ip though my dynamic ip from centurylink never changes on the host machine.

I use dyn to point my my address to my ip number.

my router has given the vm the 192.168.0.37 address.

Is there a way to setup a static ip for the vm?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to use a static IP address in a VM with Bridged networking you can either set a DHCP reservation on your router (if this is supported) or simply configure the VM's network settings (within the guest OS) manually, using an IP address outside of the DHCP scope.

André

0 Kudos
banjaxster
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you very much,I got it working now

0 Kudos