VMware Communities
markh1289
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmnetcfg utility with VMware Player 4

Is this possible & how obtained, please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Thankyou - when I tried this all I got in the destination directory was another copy of VMware-player-4.0.0-471780.exe

thats normal - wait a few minutes longer - then the rest should appear as well

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
39 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it's possible.  Search the forum here for instructions on extracting the file from the Player setup package.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

markh1289 wrote: Is this possible & how obtained, please?

On a Windows Host, to install the missing vmnetcfg.exe, Virtual Network Editor, execute VMware-player-*.exe -e c:\vmptmp from a command line and then in the c:\vmptmp folder locate the c:\vmptmp\network.cab file and extract (double-click the .cab file) the vmnetcfg.exe (Virtual Network Editor) file to the VMware Player working directory usually "C:\Program Files\VMware/VMware Player" (on 32-bit OSes).  You can also create a shortcut for it and place it with the VMware Player shortcut if you want easier access to it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On a Linux Host have a look at: Re: virtual network editor disapeared?

0 Kudos
markh1289
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou - when I tried this all I got in the destination directory was another copy of VMware-player-4.0.0-471780.exe

0 Kudos
markh1289
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How could anyone imagine this would in any way be helpful?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Make sure you enter the command correctly on the command line, with all the appropriate switches.

Or, as I tried to indicate in my first post to you, search this very forum - the same question has been covered multiple times, some in the previous week or two.  Continuum has posted the network.cab file a few times recently - you don't even need to extract the entire setup package yourself that way.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just ran the command

VMware-player-4.0.0-471780.exe /e .\temp

and it extracts all the files. However, it takes a few seconds, so please be patient.

André

0 Kudos
markh1289
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Who or what is Continuum?

Are you able to give a hyper-link, please?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Thankyou - when I tried this all I got in the destination directory was another copy of VMware-player-4.0.0-471780.exe

thats normal - wait a few minutes longer - then the rest should appear as well

0 Kudos
markh1289
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much Mr. Continuum.

0 Kudos
mouthpiec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am new to VMplayer. I just installed VM Player 4, and followed your instrutions to extract and use vmnetcfg.exe.

After I assign the interfaces do I need to make some other settings on the virtual machine? I am running the Virtual Machine on Windows 7 and the Virtual OS is CentOS version 6 ..... the problem is that I still have a single interface on CentOS.

Can someone please help me?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

add more Nics with the Virtual Hardware Editor - upto 10 are possible

0 Kudos
mouthpiec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply ..... i added more NICS but nothing happend .... how i can assing the NICs to the virtual NICS?

thanks again!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

mouthpiec wrote: i added more NICS but nothing happend .... how i can assing the NICs to the virtual NICS?

In VMware Player to use other then the default Network Adapters one must manually configure the .vmx configuration file for the Guest that will be using VMnet(N) when "(N)" is the number so it has the following two parameters set.  The first one as an example (ethernet0.connectionType) should already be there with a different value so change it to "custom" and the second one (ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet2") will need to be added.

ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet2"

Change "ethernet0" and or "VMnet2" as needed/wanted to the appropriate Network Adapter Number and or VMnet Number.  Also note that if any changes are made on the Network Adapter from the GUI this will break any custom settings and will need to be redone manually.  This is not necessary with VMware Workstation because these options are available in the GUI by default.

0 Kudos
mouthpiec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks WoodyZ .... so currently I have the following:

vnet0 <--> Ethernet Card

vnet8 <--> WiFi Card

So in the .vmx file I need to do the following even if ethernet1 does not exist?

ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet0"
ethernet1.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet1.vnet = "VMnet8"
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

mouthpiec wrote:

thanks WoodyZ .... so currently I have the following:

vnet0 <--> Ethernet Card

vnet8 <--> WiFi Card

So in the .vmx file I need to do the following even if ethernet1 does not exist?

ethernet0.vnet = "VMnet0"
ethernet1.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet1.vnet = "VMnet8"

Technically for VMnet0 when bridged to a specific adapter one can still select Bridged in the Network Adapter's GUI however to maintain convention with using additional customized VMnets then doing both as you show is okay... Except I normally never modify VMnet1 or VMnet8 when I want something customized and therefore if I need another Host Network Adapter set to Bridged I use VMnet2~VMnet7 and or VMnet9.  In other words VMnet0 by default is Bridged however in multihomed Hosts one does need to turn off automatic bridging in the Virtual Network Adapter (which you've done by selecting a specific adapter) and if you need to bridge another adapter then use VMnet2~VMnet7 and or VMnet9 and leave VMnet1 and VMnet8 to their defaults.

0 Kudos
mouthpiec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks again!

will try your suggestion and post the results here.

0 Kudos
mouthpiec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

worked great! Smiley Happy

but had to disable the default interface.

0 Kudos
SuperSteve123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody Z,

I brand new to VMware Player and in need of some experience assistance.

To satisfy the requirements for my for my self-study course 3078 "Fundamentals of Novell eDirectory 8.8" it is necessary to downloaded and install a version of VMware Player.  I chose to use VMware Player 4.0.0 build-471780.

This download and install (including the extraction of vnetcfg.exe) was completed successfully onto my MS Vista Ultimate Desktop following all of the procedures to setup a "HOST Only" network, as I do not need any access to my Internet connection for this basic Novell training. 

After this installation, I am required to copy two Linux Virtual Servers and a Linux Virtual Workstation to "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\My Virtual Machines".  This all works fine, except, when I try to verify the communication between the virtual servers and the virtual workstation all I can "ping" successfully is the Virtual Network Adapter of the virtual workstation at:

My current network adapter settings on my Vista ultimate workstation are:

Local Area Connection: 192.168.1.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP: 192.168.1.1

VMnet1 Connection:  172.17.12.150

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway:  Blank

DNS Servers: 172.17.12.101

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:  da.com

Please help so I can get this course completed for my work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos