VMware Communities
inuysha1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

idling 8 VM of combat arms

hey, im trying to build a system that is able to run around 8 VM of combat arms ( a fps game) i just need these VM to idle in the background even if there idling at 15-20 fps its okay. and im just wondering what kind of specs will my system require. the game requirements are this

• CPU: Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
  • CPU SPEED: 2.4 GHz
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: GeForce FX 5600 or better
  • TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 64 MB

also as i run more VM will i need to get a cpu with a higher core count? or will i need more ram?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I take it that you RUN at 15-20 fps all those VMs at the same time. If not, the following does not apply.

I would take something like this:
- i7/i9 with 8 threads or more
- 64 GB RAM
- a few SSDs, spreading VMs on several SSDs

That is a system that is achievable as a workstation, with workstation OS, in a reasonable price range.

Graphics was missing from there. I'm not sure what happens when you try to run several VMs with 15-20 fps with Hardware 3D acceleration at the same time, or even running 8 that way. There you have to try it out or wait for advice from somebody else. Safest bet would be that you could achieve 15-20 fps with a single core of CPU without graphics card acceleration. This is something that you need to try out as well, but probably your CPU must be as good as possible to achieve this - depending on the game, which I'm not familiar with.

You may also consider spreading the load on several workstations, which might be more cost efficient than paying extra for the top of the line cpu and graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I take it that you RUN at 15-20 fps all those VMs at the same time. If not, the following does not apply.

I would take something like this:
- i7/i9 with 8 threads or more
- 64 GB RAM
- a few SSDs, spreading VMs on several SSDs

That is a system that is achievable as a workstation, with workstation OS, in a reasonable price range.

Graphics was missing from there. I'm not sure what happens when you try to run several VMs with 15-20 fps with Hardware 3D acceleration at the same time, or even running 8 that way. There you have to try it out or wait for advice from somebody else. Safest bet would be that you could achieve 15-20 fps with a single core of CPU without graphics card acceleration. This is something that you need to try out as well, but probably your CPU must be as good as possible to achieve this - depending on the game, which I'm not familiar with.

You may also consider spreading the load on several workstations, which might be more cost efficient than paying extra for the top of the line cpu and graphics adapter.

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As a further clarification and one addition, if needed at all, the following:

I meant that you might get more CPU power by adding more threads by using more workstations compared to paying dearly for a top of the line CPU. Similarly, you would get more graphics power by using multiple workstations and the matter of distributing the graphics power to 8 VMs using hardware acceleration would ease up. When using several workstations, also motherboard and RAM speed requirements wouldn't be that critical.

In general, top of the line performance does NOT give the optimal price-performance ratio, it just gives the absolute best when a cheaper option is not enough to do the job.

I should have mentioned also AMD CPUs. There you have a 12 thread version available, which according to some tests is generally not that much better than 6 thread version, but in your case it just might be much better. If your game is threaded, you can benefit from several cores per VM. 8 is actually not enough for 8 VMs, because the Host needs CPU power, too.

If not obvious, you need to do a rather extensive price-performance-ratio analysis, based on some carefully planned tests. Or just buy a near-best option and try out how many workstations you really need to achieve a satisfactory performance.

inuysha1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

would a system with the following specs be able to handle this task?

and if so then which one would be the more efficient price to performance wise

Choice 1: 300$

Dell T3600 workstation

Intel E5-2680 @3.5 ghz 8 core/16 threads

16 gb ddr3 (can be upgraded to 64gb) with additional cost

nvidia tesla C2050 3gb video card

OS microsoft windows server 2022

Choice 2: 780$

Lenovo S30 or HP Z420

Intel E5-2697 v2 2.7ghz 12 core/24 threads cpu

16GB RAM (can be upgraded to 64GB) with additional cost

500 GB HDD (can be replaced with ssd)

Nvidia 1060 GTX 3GB Video

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
inuysha1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and also just for a bit of a comparison my friend bought a new pc and hes able to run 8 vms with this setup without any problems his specs are the following.

Intel Core i7 10700F 2.90GHz (4.80GHz Turbo Boost), 8-Core 16-Thread
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
ASUS TUF Gaming B460M-Plus, WiFi 5
RGB CPU Cooler
24GB DDR4 3000MHz
512GB SATA SSD
600W 80 Plus Gold
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
VR Ready

he mentioned that for each VM he allocated around 2GB ram and hes able to run this without any problems

Now where im a little bit confused is that when i run the vm on my current server which has the following specs

Dell Poweredge T110 ii

Intel xeon E31220 3.10 ghz 4 core/4 thread

ram 16gb

ssd 500gb

graphics card 8176

im only able to run around 4 VM with my ram usage being at 60% and cpu usage at 100%. so what i wanted to know is that since i have a low graphics card is this making my cpu work harder? do i need to upgrade my cpu or graphics card? or is it the cpu core count that  limiting my cpu. thanks for you help i know this is a bit confusing but id really appreciate any help

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for taking real-world options into discussion. A lot of this is a matter of taste and a question of availability on each market place, also about how long you want to or can wait for getting all the parts. Here are a few comments for the conversial items:

- if your Host is a game server for several game VMs, confirming that would take a lot of speculation away from the following?

- I wouldn't personally buy any dell/lenovo, but start building it on my own using an Asus motherboard or something else that is known to be good. Cheap dell/lenovos have more than likely sub-standard motherboards and also useless parts like small HDDs. When you need to upgrade them, what is the point in buing some thing that doesn't work in the first place but getting a bad chassis, uselessly small memory cards that need to be scrapped&changed and all that.

- this is about running 8 at the same time. Having 4 and using them in turns is a completely different scenario. (this matter is not confirmed, but that was the first thing I asked about). So, what is it in those examples and what is the requirement

- HDDs are useless for running this. Do NOT try to even start up 2-3 VM computers from a single HDD at the same time. It might take 30 min to get rid of the situation when the system as a whole gets stuck. I haven't tried with the latest HDDs, neither is there a reason to try them out (if you need to buy them). You can use several HDDs in a tower workstation, but that is hugely cumbersome (something that I used 10 years ago), in comparison to having a single SDD for a few VMs

- the only real question is the graphics card and using 8 VMs (or at least several) to share hardware accelaration of the Host, AT THE SAME TIME with 15-20 fps.

- price of 2012 Server OS is around 5 000 - 6 000 USD + tax. I don't know what buying it with tens of dollars in those WEB pages that sell them with tens of dollars means in each country. If it is illegal to buy them, or even sell them, this matter shouldn't be discussed here
- there is also no reason to try to use Windows 10 on the Host. You are much better of using some Linux version (like some Ubuntu/Debian - distro, or other kind of distro if non-Debian ones are more to your liking)

As for the questions of @inuysha1  system, here are some commets:

- not sure what these 4 are doing? If you use it alone, you cannot run them in games at the same time, not for anything useful that is. So what really happens there?

- you need to continue analysing it. You said that CPU is 100%, it looks like that is the bottle neck. 4 threads is too little for 4 VMs (really) running. Maybe Win 10 Home version is just bad in distributing power for threads, or whatever you have? 

- why CPU is so high? Maybe the distribution into cores is not optimal within VMs? They might take more power than they really need if you let them. Try with a lower values of prosessors/threads per VM.
- maybe RAM is too little and does slow everythig down (and results in large cpu and disk load). Try with a larger memory for one VM and see if that works better when running alone. Go from there, but buy more RAM.

- not sure how good that graphics card is. In any case, it is as much about drivers than the card itself. Have you checked that you have upto date drivers ... whatever that means (source can be Windows, Dell, card manufacturer, chip manufacturer, community and version can be latest stable, beta or alpha, drivers).

- but yet again, it depends on what you are actually doing with those VMs. Graphics might mean nothing or that is the most important thing ... do you even have graphics hardware acceleration on? Since you use the term "server", it points to using something else than games ... other applications are difficult to evaluate how much memory they need, because, for instance databases can take a lot of memory, but run slowly on a small memory ... depends on what they are and how you configure them and how quick they must be

I hope this explains further what the field of analysis is.

0 Kudos