VMware Communities
arnold_warhonow
Contributor
Contributor

cannot open image created in VMWare Server 1.x in VMWare Player 3 running on Win7 laptop

I have installed VMWare Player (tried in both 2.5 and 3.0) on a Win7 host (32bit Professional). The installation works without error but when I try to open an image (tried with several) that was last opened in VMWare Server 1.x a window opens with no content, at least no visible content.

When I try to close the window I get an error message from Win7 saying the program has stopped working. I can then close the program or wait for it to resume. I tried to wait but gave up after 45mins.

Has anyone seen this before and could point me to some help/a solution?

I have attached a screenshot to show what the problem looks like

Message was edited by: arnold.warhon…

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jonney39
Contributor
Contributor

same problem with me

0 Kudos
arnold_warhonow
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed VMWare Player 3 onto a Windows XP machine (XP Pro SP3) and it works fine, so it must be something to do with Win7

0 Kudos
arnold_warhonow
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new virtual machine with VMWare Player 3 installed on the Win7 laptop and that works fine, so it looks like when opening an old image it is trying to do something and fails (possibly asking whether the image was copied or moved).

0 Kudos
arnold_warhonow
Contributor
Contributor

a bit more testing. I have installed VMWare Player 3.0 on a WinXP Pro SP3 machine and opened the image in there. This caused no problem. I then updated the VMWare Tools. This also went smoothly. I then copied the image onto the Win7 machine and tried to power it up. This time I can actually read the error message (though I am not sure if it is the same as before). The error says:

Error while powering on: Unable to open the file "C:\...\*.vmdk": Insufficient permission to access file

I am logged on as the only used on the Win7 machine with full admin rights.

Can someone help me this this?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try to run vmplayer via "run as administrator"

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
arnold_warhonow
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, only have one user account and that is an admin one ... think I found the problem, I moved the image file to another location and it worked. So, once I was actually able to see the error message it was quite simple to solve

0 Kudos