VMware Communities
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WinXP VM failed to start after installing Linux VM

Hi

I am using WinXP VM on a Win 7 host.

After installing a Slackware Linux VM, the win XP VM is broken.

When starting the machine a Bad Image blue screen message is displayed

Please advise

tx

OJ

0 Kudos
15 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am using WinXP VM on a Win 7 host.

After installing a Slackware Linux VM, the win XP VM is broken.

Assuming the Linux VM is a totally separate VM then I fail to see how creating a new seperate VM of any OS would cause an issue with an existing separate VM.  By separate I mean not have touched the existing VM in any way while create a new separate VM, as in not attaching an existing virtual hard disk from another VM, etc,  As a matter of fact in over 10 years of using VMware products and having created thousands of VM's I've never had a previously created seperate VM corrupted by creating a new separate VM of any OS! Smiley Wink

When starting the machine a Bad Image blue screen message is displayed

I'm not sure what help you expect to get from the information you've provided as saying just "When starting the machine a Bad Image blue screen message is displayed" is about worthless from a diagnostic/troubleshooting perspective.  Even a screen shot of the BSOD would probably be more helpful then your description thus far.  You need to include technical details/facts, something that is actually analyzable! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi WoodyZ

Thanks for your answer.

I Totally understand the ifrst part of your answer, however - this excatly what happened.

One mintue the VM in up and running ans after installing the Linux VM - it can not be loaded.

Because it happened something like 3 weeks ago - I might be wrong...Is it possible that a player update was required to support the linux machine?

Maybe all it was is installing the VMware Tools :smileyconfused:

Are the VMware tools installed on  the VM level, or is it at the player level - that is, it is common to all VM on a given host?

As for the second part of your answer you probably right... the message is:

Bad Image (error code c000007b)

The Application or DLL \??\c:\windows\system32\DGI32.dll is not a valid windows iamge. Please check this against your installtion diskette.

tx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are the VMware tools installed on  the VM level, or is it at the player level - that is, it is common to all VM on a given host?

When VMware Player is initially installed it's done so without VMware Tools installed.  Typically when you install a Guest OS in a Virtual Machine and you choose to install VMware Tools, or during an Easy Install, if the appropriate VMware Tools ISO Image hasn't been downloaded from VMware then it's downloaded and installed on the Host.  As an example you install VMware tools in a Windows Guest then VMware Played downloads an executable from VMware's Server and when this file is executed in the background the windows.iso file and the windows.iso.sif file are extracted to the working directory of VMware Player.  The windows.iso file gets attached to the VM's CD/DVD and then VMware Tools gets installed in the Windows Guest.  The installation on the Host and the installation on the Guest are two separate processes.  The install of VMware Tools in any given VM is not hooked to any other VM as each VM (other then linked clones) are totally separate and apart from each other and by default have no bearing on any other VM as far as it's install goes.  Obviousy if you have limited RAM and are running multiple VM's the it can have a performance impact on each other however creating a new VM and installing an OS in that VM has no bearing on existing VM's provided you didn't add an existing virtual hard disk from an existing VM! Smiley Wink

As for the second part of your answer you probably right... the message is:

Bad Image (error code c000007b)

The Application or DLL \??\c:\windows\system32\DGI32.dll is not a valid windows iamge. Please check this against your installtion diskette.

Well, have you done as the error message suggests?

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can not do that - as windows wont start...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just because Windows won't start doesn't mean you can't do it!  Obviously if the VM will not boot from the installed OS you either mount the virtual hard disk under the Host OS and check it that way or you boot the VM with a Live OS CD/DVD/ISO Image or USB via Plop Boot Manager.  The Live OS OS CD/DVD/ISO Image or USB can be a Linux distro or a Windows in the form of WinPE or variant.  Basically the same basic diagnostic/troubleshooting methods/methodsoligies that apply to am OS issue when run from a Physical Machine also apply to a Virtual Machine.

Otherwise restore the VM from a backup or if you haven't been keeping proper backups then delete the VM and create a new one if you don't want to attempt to repair it! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Of course I can create a new VM but obviously I prefer not...Im here

I tried ti install http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/diskmount_ws_v55.html, but there is a problem.

First time the setup finished - there was a windows message the program is not compitable, suggesting to reinstall it.

After installing second time seems like the all good - but can not find the utility anywhere ...

Is this the right one?

tx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

No, that is not the right one and you should use the latest from the Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK).

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is a development kit...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, so what! Smiley Wink... The reason I suggest the VDDK is is contains both vmware-mount.exe and vmware-vdiskmanager.exe.  It should be more current then the one you originally downloaded.

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK. Didnt know what to do with it....

Anyway, it failed - attached is the log file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is the VM shutdown or suspended and is VMware Player closed?

The other option is to boot the VM with a Live OS CD/DVD/ISO Image or use USB via Plop Boot Manager.

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is

Regardind the second option

I found this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/97923/how-to-boot-a-vmware-virtual-machine-from-a-usb-drive/

I'm dont understand how it can help

As I undesratnd, eventually, the the VM being loaded is a new one created for the Plop Boot Manager - not the broken one.

Am I missing anything?

tx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I started to look at the linked article and as soon as I saw information being blurred out in the images and the fact that OS X is being illegally run in VMware Player I'm not going to waste my time reading it.

I only mentioned USB via Plop because some Users have Linux running from a USB drive, as an example I use the Kaspersky Rescue Disk from USB on physical systems but build out and test and update in a Virtual Machine so I need to use Plop to do that.

Here is what I suggest, download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO Image and assign it to the CD/DVD and temporarily change the Guest OS type to Linux (or you may have to temporarily remove the USB controller from the VM) so as not to have mouse tracking issue while booting a Windows VM from Linux.  (Don't forget to change back the Guest OS type when done (or add back the USB controller when done.)  This will get you into a GUI Environment with a File Manager so you can locate and check the target file or replace the target file, whatever.

Or use other Linux Live OS distro or  Windows WinPE based image.

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ,

The question was regarding the principle of boot from USB technique ...as eventually another VM is loaded.

How does it enable watching the files in the broken VM

Anyway - I still feel it wa a VM ware issue but I have decided to drop that

Thanks a LOT  for your help :smileycool:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The question was regarding the principle of boot from USB technique ...as eventually another VM is loaded.

Another Virtual Machine is not being loaded.  What's happening is a Live OS is running from VD/DVD/ISO Image or USB via Plop and that is not the same as "another VM is loaded"!

How does it enable watching the files in the broken VM

What "watching"?  The purpose is to replace the target file of the BSOD just as the message states!

Anyway - I still feel it wa a VM ware issue but I have decided to drop that

No offense intended, you can think it's a VMware issue all you want but the reality is, it is not and you just don't know any better!

The bottom line is the BSOD clearly tells you what to do, "Please check this against your installation diskette.", which translates to expanding the <CD-ROM>:\I386\GDI32.DL_ to GDI32.DLL and replacing the existing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GDI32.DLL with the newly expanded one.  This is so easily and quickly done that it would take me but a few minutes to do it, either directly mounting the virtual hard disk or using as example the Kaspersky Rescue Disk.  However the reality is that even in doing this it doesn't mean it's going to fix it, although one has to start somewhere and that's the logical place since the error message is explicit.
When one creates a new Virtual Machine it by default does not touch any existing Virtual Machines in any way shape or form unless you explicitly combing elements of and existing VM with the newly created one and the average no nothing user doesn't do that, not even usually by mistake.  In other words under normal default circumstances each VM is self contained and has nothing to to with any other VM.  You thinking create a new Linux VM affected your existing Windows XP VM is tantamount to saying when you opened Microsoft Word and created and saved a new document it deleted a paragraph out of an existing document...  see how ridiculous that sounds! Smiley Wink
0 Kudos