VMware Communities
Flagorn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player 5.0.1 Setup stalls

Hi all,

Installing the latest version of VMWare player 5.0.1 is not working. The following screen appears and nothing else happens, no error, no cpu usage, just sits there like this forever (slight exageration, I haven't actually waited forever, Windows doesn't go that long without a reboot).

VMwarePlayerSetup.jpg

I currently have VMWare player 5.0.0 installed, which is working fine except the constant reminder to upgrade.

My computer is Windows 7 Home premium, SP1, 64bit

Any ideas what the issue may be?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Flagorn, I probably cannot help you but I will ask some questions that might help others help you.

Did you remove 5.0.0?  Have you tried removing 5.0.0?  Did you follow the remainder and allow 5.0.0 to do the upgrade?  If you DLed 5.0.1 did you verify the hash codes?  What is your machine doing during the hang?  CPU usage?  Task Manager showing the Player installer or what running?  HDD activity?  Internet activity?  Is 5.0.0 running at the time you are trying to install 5.0.1?

Good luck and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
Flagorn
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried removing 5.0.0? - Yes, same thing happens.

Did you follow the remainder and allow 5.0.0 to do the upgrade? - Yes, also downloaded new version and tried direct install, same result.

If you DLed 5.0.1 did you verify the hash codes? - What hash codes?

What is your machine doing during the hang? - Nothing. Left it alone with no other applications running.

CPU usage? - None, I have i7, all cpu's idle.

Task Manager showing the Player installer or what running?  - Task manager shows 'VMware Player Setup', no other appliations.

HDD activity?  - None.

Internet activity? - None.

Is 5.0.0 running at the time you are trying to install 5.0.1? - When running upgrade reminder.. yes. When running from downloaded setup file.. no.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Flagorn, OK thanks.  I think the real thing to do is remove 5.0.0, but if you are unwilling to do that then the only thing I can think of right now is to stop all the VMware services.  I assume the installer is waiting for a service to stop or a file to be freed up.  Open a Run Dialog and type Services.msc.  This will open the Service Manager.  Down towards the bottom (alphabetical order) you will find four VMware services with Started status.  Double click each and and click Stop.  Do not change the Startup type.  When all four are stopped try your DLed installer.  Obviously be sure VMware is not running before you stop the services.  A reboot will restore the services.  Please let us know the outcome.  BTW, hash codes (MD5 and SHA-1) are posted with on the DL page.  Click Show Details (called Checksums here).  I use HashTab to verify the codes but there are many free hash generators on the Internet.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
Flagorn
Contributor
Contributor

So, I've tried everything to remove the current version but I get the same problem.

I've shut down all the services.

I guess VMWare doesn't want me to upgrade.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Flagorn, sorry that stopping the services did not work.  Now you say you tried to remove the current version.  Did you still see the services running?  Did you do a restart after using "Uninstall a program" to remove the old VMware?  Have you tried this uninstall clean up tool - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/138943?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please note that the kb 1308 does no longer work for VMplayer 5 and WS 9 - it may help but chances are quite low in my experience.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, continuum, do you have a suggested solution for  Flagorn?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Not really
I made a howto for installing previous versions but with VMplayer 5 and WS 9 a whole bunch of new issues have appeared.
Anyway - http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=114&artlang=en is still worth reading - most of it still applies

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

continuum, thanks, we'll have to wait and see what Flagorn has to say.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
Flagorn
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I've read through continuum's guide and I think I may know what the problem is. I had Mcafee Security Scan Plus installed when I originally installed VMWare. I've since removed Mcaffee as it was causing some firewall issues. It could be that VMWare setup is broken due to Mcaffe now being removed. I'm trying to re-install Mcaffee.

Will post how it goes.

0 Kudos