VMware Communities
Skindeep2366
Contributor
Contributor

Using VMware Player cannot get telenet connection from host into Player

I have VMware Player installed the host and windows xp installed virtually.. I have a need and desire to use telenet services... The problem however though is that while I can connect to the internet fine from inside the Player I cannot connect from outside the host system via telnet to the virtual machine... I have forwarded port 23 on my physical router to the host computer but how do i forward or make vmware player listen to this port in the virtual machine??? I am running windows 7 home prem on the host machine... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you checked the firewall settings on both your host and the guest?

Do you have the VM's network connection type set to Bridged or NAT?

0 Kudos
Skindeep2366
Contributor
Contributor

I do have the firewall open on both the host and guest for port 23.. The guest network is set at Nat in VMware. If i telnet from the host to the guest using the guest's ip address the connection goes through... However I can not connect to the telnet server on the guest using the  domain name that I have setup with NO-IP... I believe that the cause of this is simply that NO-IP is resolving the hostname to my actual Ip address my physical router catches the connection and forwards it to my host machine but that is where the connection dies..

0 Kudos
Skindeep2366
Contributor
Contributor

I figured it out... I bridged the connection.. then Used Ipconfig /all on the guest to get the guest's ip address... Then inside my physical router I forwarded tcp connects on port 23 to the guests ip address...

0 Kudos