VMware Communities
Ozigoo
Contributor
Contributor

Resize Windows XP Pro window inside VMware

So I installed VMware ,home use and opened a virtual machine that my friend made which has Windows XP Pro and some programs installed. The Windows XP window is alot smaller than my screen and the VMware window, like a tiny rectangle in the center of a black screen that I can hardly read. I tried playing around with the resolution settings in VMware but that didnt do anything, if anything it made it smaller. (see screenshot below)Any help greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. You seem to be running Workstation Player, your thread will be moved by a moderator to that area of VMTN.

2. Have you installed VMware Tools in the guest OS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ozigoo
Contributor
Contributor

My fiend doesnt seem to have installed it on the windows xp side

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Tools is specific for each VM and needs to be installed, in most cases, for fluent use.

Meanwhile, you can adjust screen resolution in Windows itself - providing that your current driver gives you better choices ... like 1400 x 1000, which is OK on a HD display without the need to use scroll bars.

0 Kudos
Ozigoo
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to work it out by juggling the resolution settings of both my laptop screen and the windows xp/vmware screen. I found a happy medium at 1280 x 720 on both where I get a full width and slightly larger depth ...The problem was that my normal laptop resolution is 3200x1800 . Thanks for the input much appreciated

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I only meant to adjust VM XP resolution.

VMware should definitely work in a window - that's the beauty of it, at least on Windows platform, where you don't have virtual desktops. My example was for a HD display which is very common these days. If your larger resolution gives a problem, it is a clear bug.

I would suggest to try again with the very latest VMware version, 16.1.2 in case there is a fix for this. There is no upgrade required for (reasonably) older versions of VM.

0 Kudos