VMware Communities
Inoculator
Contributor
Contributor

Playing with the player... sub: what games can do...

Hi all,

my problem goes about debuggers and gameplay on the VMPlayer.

I set up the Player for my son on his windows XP Machine, to join some older games like Myst 1,2 and 3, which do not run under XP, but Windows98.

Using a windows 98 virtual machine everything works fine with most games. But some games -like Myst 4 starting up by testing some parameters to detect a running debugger.

Somehow the VMPlayer is detected as debugging program and the gameplay stops before anything happens by replying: "Unload debugger and start again".

Do You get the point?

Can I do anything to "hide" the Player from the detection?

regards

Carsten

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Myst might be specifically checking for our backdoor. You can try disabling it by adding:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

To the .vmx file in the vm directory, it's just a simple text file, you can edit it with notepad or wordpad. You'll lose most guest tools support if you do this but it might help the game run. If that doesn't work, they might be trying some other way of detecting VMware that will probably not be possible to work around.

0 Kudos
Inoculator
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Alex, hello Teams,

no, that hasn't changed anything.Nevertheless I learned something from this parameter: You cannot install VMTools with this set to "true":D

Meanwhile I havn't got any answer from other comunities, where I posted this question. What a pitty.... such good story and no chance to play it.

Thanks anyway.

Carsten

0 Kudos