VMware Communities
waby38
Contributor
Contributor

Player v3.0 under Fedora 12 as HOST

Hi,

I've just tried to use the latest Player v3.0 under my fresh installation of Fedora 12

Installation is ok, and compilation of kernel module is also fine.

=> I've cross check this operation using : "vmware-modconfig --console --install-all" , and my kernel is "2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE"

Now, if I start vmplayer, then I got the main screen for less than 1 second, and after disappear / crash without any message

Using strace, I able to see that SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) append just after reading some stuff from "/usr/lib/vmware/resources/mozilla-root-certs.crt"

Is there any bad experience for Fedora 12 users ?

Using the previous Fedora 11, everything was fine with this Player v3.0!!

Any tips ??

0 Kudos
30 Replies
kenichikatosg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting this solution. It helped me!

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Followed the instructions to disable selinux - thanks for that information. Unfortunately VMware Player 3.0 still does not work on Fedora 112 with the kernel:

2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64. It will bring up the UI for less than a fraction of second and then exit. I will try the full WS 7.0 (trial only for lsure!) but I don't have great hopes for that either. Perhaps there is some video driver problem. I have a GeFoprce 6150 nforce 430 on board video. Will search for other video drivers also..

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
MihaiSapteCai
Contributor
Contributor

Marty, you're right: it broke again!!! Today when I tried to start vmware it installed a new update, compiled then networking stopped working again.

M.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am download the 7.0 bundle right now. What it should ldo is uninstall Vmware Player, the continue the install with isntalling installer 1.1, VMware Player 3.0 and finally WS 7.0. We will see how it goes. I wish they would provide a rpm installation for Fedora 12. Virtualbox died after installing through a script (.run) but when isntalling via an rpm it installed and ran just great. Installing Ubuntu Lucid Alpha 1 x64 right now. Do you have a 64-bit machine? Does you BIIOS allow AMD-V virtualization.

MartyMarty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly VMware WS 7.0.0 (trial) installed fine on Fedor 12 (haven't yet created a VM). VMware Player 3.0.0. has the same problems as reported.

Strange.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
ChipJockey
Contributor
Contributor

I've just done an upgrade from Fedora 11 x86_64 to Fedora 12 x86_64 and was also trying to upgrade vmplayer from 2.5.x to 3.0.0 as the cursor couldn't seem to make its mind up whether it was a pointer or a hand and so navigation in the VM (Windows 2003 server) was impossible.

After reading everything said here so far, and doing a bit of digging, I noticed that in my /tmp/vmware-<userid>/apploader-3490/log file was a message "System libcurl.so.4 has version 7.19.6 (need 7.19.5) and has NOT been compiled with c-ares support" which seems to confirm what one of the respondents was saying about lack of c-ares support (whatever that may be).

However, I also noticed that in the /usr/lib/vmware/lib directory there is a libcurl.so.3 directory AND a libcurl.so.4 directory.

On an educated guess, I renamed the libcurl.so.4 directory to libcurl.so.4.saved in the hope that vmplayer would pick up the earlier version and that it wouldn't be broken.

Amazingly, I can now fire up vmplayer and also download the VMTools update for 3.0.0

From inside the Windows 2003 server VM, installation of the VM Tools then proceeded normally (requiring a reboot to complete), after which I appear to have a fully working VMware 3.0.0 system.

Whoooohoooo!

Hope this also works for some more of you.

0 Kudos
rriggs
Contributor
Contributor

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ogooreck
Contributor
Contributor

This also may answer why vmplayer 3 doesn't crash on fedora 11, maybe it selects libcurl.so.3.

2009/12/18 ChipJockey <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Player v3.0 under Fedora 12 as HOST":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1444574#1444574

Author : ChipJockey

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/ChipJockey

0 Kudos
ogooreck
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm it works here on 32-bit system after removing libcurl.so.4. Apploader log doesn't complain about libcurl at all.

2009/12/18 Krzysztof Chmielewski <kjchmielewski@gmail.com<mailto:kjchmielewski@gmail.com>>

This also may answer why vmplayer 3 doesn't crash on fedora 11, maybe it selects libcurl.so.3.

2009/12/18 ChipJockey <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Player v3.0 under Fedora 12 as HOST":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1444574#1444574

Author : ChipJockey

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/ChipJockey

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This worked for me. Thank you.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
padamstx
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too on a Fedora 12 64-bit system. Thanks for the tip!

Phil

0 Kudos