VMware Communities
hmccurdy
Contributor
Contributor

Player hangs CentOS 6.2 when starting a machine

A few months ago, I downloaded the VMware Player at home because I teach at a college that uses VMware in the computer labs.  I worked fine in CentOS 6.2.

Then a few weeks ago (while the term was ending so I didn't have time to work on the problem), the Player asked me to download an update.  So, I did.  Then it said that it needed modify the kernel.  Uncomfortable as I was, the only options seemed to be let it do what it wanted or not use the Player.  So, I let it go ahead.

After that, whenver I try to start a VM, the O/S freezes.  Since the Player didn't say what it was doing, I don't know how to reconfigure the kernel to undo it (other than a fresh load of the O/S).

I tried using older versions of the Player (back to 3) without success.  I tried using an older kernel but then the Player wants to update the kernel (once bitten...) and I didn't let it do that.

I found a KB article that suggests the problem could be with the video card driver.  So, I updated the driver, rebooted a couple times and I still have the problem.

If I could, somehow (without reloading Linux), undo what the Player Update did to the kernel and/or kernel configuration, I should be able to use an older version of the Player (I think I was using 4) and I'd have a working system again.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hmccurdy
Contributor
Contributor

I no longer need an answer to this question.  I wiped out CentOS 6.2 and installed CentOS 6.4

I encounted a similar problem in that the system gracefully crashed after running VMware.  The solution to that problem was found on the Scientific Linux site and was

# mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary.old

# vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

0 Kudos