VMware Communities
KirkGoins
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple NICs and vmnetcfg not working correctly

Running VMPlayer 4.0.1 on top of WIN7 64bit on a Lenovo T520. Internal GB nic and a USB Attached GB nic.

I have extracted and placed the files from the network cab in my VMPlayer folder and can run the program.

I assign my internal nic to 1 bridged network ( happens to be on 192.x.x.x) and the other to the USB nic ( 10.x.x.x )

192.x.x.x network is used to access local devices and has no default gateway assigned. 10.x.x.x network has a default gateway and I can access the internet etc

Even though I assign each VMNETx to a specific NIC, once I bring up the VM ( running XP ) it appears that from with in the VM it is accessing only the USB based nic. If I set the nics in XP to DHCP I get addresses on both nics from just 1 network

Help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Player does not give a UI to change to custom VMnet.  You must manually edit the vmx file to specify which VMnet to use.

0 Kudos
KirkGoins
Contributor
Contributor

Since it appears that vmnetcfg will not handle this... Does any have an example of what statements must be in the .vmx file for a windows7 host and XP Guest?  I see some linux based examples.

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As an example:

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet = "vmnet5"

Change "vmnet5" to the appropriate vmnet.

0 Kudos
KirkGoins
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You Very Much! That appears to have fixed my issue.

0 Kudos