VMware Communities
gethan
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse ungrab / release problems - VMware Player 5, Windows 8 host, Debian Wheezy guest

VMware Player 5, Windows 8 host, Debian Wheezy guest - with VMware Tools installed.

I have some strange behaviour that is quite irritating.

The mouse is automatically grabbed when I mouse over the guest - I want this.

When leaving the guest window - the mouse is kind of stuck, it leaves the window area a few hundred pixels, flashes and is relocated back into the guest window, this repeats rapidly until after about 10 seconds the mouse is released. Alt-ctrl does release as expected.

Any ideas how to fix this?

(or how to further diagnose this?)

More details on the installation.

New machine created in VMware Player 5, fresh 64bit Debian Wheezy install with xfce4. VMware tools from VMware. Tried apt-get install open-vm-tools same behaviour.

A 32bit Debian Wheezy guest, copied from Windows 7 host works correctly (releases the mouse as expected) on the new setup.

Thanks for any clues!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gethan
Contributor
Contributor

I made some progress on this;

During vmware-tools installation a failed message appears for Xorg drivers; "Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included"

Seems related to this discussion: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1521695

apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-video-vmware

I then reran vmware-config-tools.pl - the same message still appears, restarting X (logout back in)

During my attempts to get this working I also added

/lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-vmmouse.rules

ACTION=="add|change", ENV=="?*", ATTRS=="i8042 AUX port", PROGRAM="/usr/bin/vmmouse_detect", ENV{ID_INPUT.tags}="vmmouse"

One of these steps has fixed the problem, the mouse is now smoothly released, it works beautifully with host and guest monitor side by side.

0 Kudos
FGTgb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, it worked for me.

I've just used:

- apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-video-vmware

- vmware tools reinstall

- logout/login

FGTgb

0 Kudos
billydv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having problems with this now, I suppose the changes you made to /lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-vmmouse.rules  have something to do with the fix, when I do that, it breaks the mouse altogether. Can you please post the entire

/lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-vmmouse.rules

0 Kudos
FGTgb
Contributor
Contributor

Here it is:

ACTION=="add|change", ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}=="?*", ATTRS{description}=="i8042 AUX port", KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", PROGRAM="/bin/vmmouse_detect", ENV{ID_INPUT.tags}="vmmouse"

FGTgb

0 Kudos
billydv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I believe that my issues have to do with some internal changes in WS10 as I never had any issues in WS9. I've reverted and will wait to see if the next release of WS10 brings any changes.

0 Kudos