VMware Communities
Xaphan90
Contributor
Contributor

Is hardware virtualization needed to run 64-bit operating systems in VMware Player 4.0.1?

I haven't installed any 64-bit operating systems on VMware Player before but recently I tried to install Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit to use for educational purposes and upon booting a message came up saying something to the fact that there was no 64-bit support and when I clicked to boot without 64-bit support I got a message saying that Windows failed to boot and that my CPU is capable of hardware virtualization but it is disabled and I should go to the BIOS to enable it.  The thing is that I am trying to run this VM on a Sony Vaio and it is known that Sony disables and prevents you from using hardware virtualization on most of their computers and my Vaio laptop is one of them.  I have absolutely no problems running 32-bit OS's on VMware Player but a 64-bit OS is where there is a problem.  Am I out of luck trying to run Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit in VMware Player 4.0.1 using the laptop I have?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you read the documentation!? Smiley Wink

Have a look at "Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems" at: Processor Requirements for Host Systems

0 Kudos