VMware Communities
countryboy0110
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I trigger the mouse to lock in VMWare Workstation 16 after VMWare Tools Installation

So curious question.

I'm doing a test in Vmware Work Station 16.2.2 Build 19200509 with Windows 10.

However, my project requires the mouse to be in the VMware instance at all times, and with VMWare Tools installed, it's bouncing between the host/client when I move the mouse too far in any direction.

I would prefer the VMWare Tools to be installed since I do do Full Screen.

I did try Full Screen, but still the mouse goes to the host, even on Full Screen.

I've checked other forums and saw a few on here, that says there's a Control Panel setting that could trigger the "lock" in the client, but I can't seem to identify if that change needs to be in the Client OS or the Host OS.

I essentially need VMWare Workstation to do the "Press the CTRL+ALT to go to Host" when VMWare Tools is installed on the Client OS.

Is this a possibility? or any work arounds on this?

(Yes, I know this is a weird/unique request)

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, with Player there is no UI for this setting.  You need to edit the preferences.ini file.  Try adding the line 

pref.motionUngrab = "false"

to the file.  Note that this setting is global and will affect all VMs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, with Player there is no UI for this setting.  You need to edit the preferences.ini file.  Try adding the line 

pref.motionUngrab = "false"

to the file.  Note that this setting is global and will affect all VMs.

countryboy0110
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDPetruska, 

That did the trick with the mouse still being locked within the Virtual Machine, but for some reason the dang mouse still only goes so far in any direction.

The application is like a 360 degree view, and the mouse still won't trigger to view behind, only so far left, right, and up.

I was really hoping a Virtual Machine would accomplish what I needed, but it seems I may be better off getting a 2nd computer to just do it that way, I was really hoping to avoid that route though.

I appreciate the help help and I'm saving this trick!

0 Kudos