VMware Communities
GeorgeBerz
Contributor
Contributor

Help a newbie get started... 2 vmware players 1 computer?

Ok, here goes... Please forgive me if I dont fully understand the complexities or intracities involved, Im trying to get up to speed.

I have a dual core toshiba laptop with win7 on it and 8 gigs RAM I am setting up a proxy server for a couple friends in India here in the USA each one wants thier own DSL line in the USA so they can log into the laptop remotely with team viewer and reset the ATT DSL line to get a new IP address, they each need thier own DSL line and virtual computer to run proxy programs on.

I need to run 2 virtualized win7 boxes on that machine + a local console connected to 3 DSL lines 1 DSL for each of the virtualized boxes and 1 for the console.

This setup is currently running on 3 different computers now and I want to save power (and help the environment) by running it off a extra laptop.

Is this possible?

Ive created a vmware player and installed win7 and it works, but I need to add on another VMware player with another copy of win7 running and make it run off a different DSL line. currently on the laptop it is only using 5-10% of system resources with 1 virtual player running.

Am I looking in the right direction here?

Pointers please?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Generally speaking, first of all you'd have to have 3 separate physical network adapters, one for each DSL Line, and then you'll need to manually install the missing Virtual Network Editor in order to bind each to a different VMnet.  You'll also need to manually edit each VM's .vmx configuration file to use the appropriate VMnet.  The details of which have been posted more then enough times that you should be able to search and find the particulars. (BTW All of this can be done more easily with VMware Workstation as it's built-in to the GUI.)

0 Kudos
GeorgeBerz
Contributor
Contributor

Is there not a way to have the vmware adapters share the laptops 1 ethernet port but with fixing IP addresses to the vmware clients so they go through the laptop each to thier own router

I was thinking 3 dsl modems to 3 dsl routers to a hub to the laptop no dhcp on anything

make the console on the laptop 10.10.127.2

vmware 1 player 192.168.1.2

vmware 2 plater 192.168.0.2

then connecting to thier different routers to get out on the net

I had 24 computers connected this way at one point a 24 port hub daisy chained to another 24 port hub connected to 24 routers with dsl lines.

I want to get this business going again but with less of a power bill and I'd like to share as many virtual users on 1 computer as possible.

I do not think adding network cards to a laptop will work

You mentioned vmware workstation?

More tips please

Thank you

George

0 Kudos