VMware Communities
Jowi2525
Contributor
Contributor

Getting started with VMware or booting in Win 8 from the DVD

I am not well versed with any of this, but I have a homework assignment and I have completed everything up to Part 2 step 5.

5. When the root@bt:~# prompt appears, type iwconfig and then press

Enter. Note the interface that is associated with IEEE 802.11.

6. When the root@bt:~# prompt appears, type iwconfig interface channel

number. For example, if the interface is wlan0 on channel 11, type

iwconfig wlan0 channel 11 and then press Enter.

7. When the root@bt:~# prompt appears, type airmon-ng start interface.

For example, if the interface is wlan0, type airmon-ng start wlan0 and

then press Enter.

In step 5 I cannot Note the interface that is associated with IEEE 802.11.

This is because there is none. I have tried this running Backtrack 5 R3 in both Virtualbox and VMware player on my HP laptop running Windows 8 (Non Pro) with the same result. I just see :

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extentions.

I should also mention I did enable virtualization support in the bios.

SO I burned a DVD from the Backtrack ISO file. I got an older laptop to boot from this DVD, but that laptop has other problems. I cannot get my HP to boot feom the DVD, I have disabled Secure Boot and Fast Boot and have tried moving both the USB CD/DVD Rom and Internal CD/DVD Rom drives to the top of the UEFI boot order. I even tried enabling Legacy Support and moving them up in that list also. To make sure it was not the DVD I burned a Windows XP Installation CD with the same results.

One thing I did not do is switch from booting with "UEFI" to "CSM". I did not see any such option in the BIOS.

I need to achieve this by using the DVD or a virtual machine or any other method I might not know about.

I will appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Jowi2525

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Samquejo
Commander
Commander

Hi

It's simple:

Why cant BackTrack use wireless card “X” inside VMWare or Virtualbox ?

FAQ - BackTrack Linux

Regards

Si esta u otra respuesta es util, por favor marca su correspondiente notificador. Gracias/Regards
Jowi2525
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that's what I figured. Anyone know what else I can try to boot from the Backtrack 5 R3 DVD I burned? I need to figure that out either way so I can troubleshoot if Win 8 ever fails. Also I am not clear on if there is an advantage to using unebootin to install to a USB stick over the DVD that I burned from the ISO file. I don't have a USB stick available, but I could buy one if need be. I will pass this on to the rest of the class tonight.

Thanks again,

Jowi2525

0 Kudos
Jowi2525
Contributor
Contributor

I found that on my HP laptop F9 is the key needed to boot from the CD/DVD.

0 Kudos