VMware Communities
gnawfrays
Contributor
Contributor

Can't disable clipboard in Workstation Player?

Hello,

I am trying to find a way (preferably through the GUI so that it's quick to toggle on and off) to disable the clipboard sharing between Host and Guest.  I have checked under both Player > File > Preferences and under the VM's Settings > Options tab.  I can find references to "Guest Isolation" under documentation for Workstation Pro but nothing for Workstation Player. I couldn't find any reference to Guest Isolation in the Workstation Player Help doc.

Is clipboard sharing disabling simply not supported in Player?  If so, it just seems so strange since one of the reasons for running a VM is security.  I would like to keep VMware Tools installed.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can still disable that using parameters in the vmx file.

With the Guest OS shut down and VMware Player not running, edit the virtual machine vmx file using for example notepad.

You would be looking at these parameters:

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html#isolationtools

and you would be looking for adding these two lines I guess:

isolation.tools.copy.disable = "true"

isolation.tools.paste.disable = "true"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
gnawfrays
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much wila for your reply! I will give it a try!  Smiley Happy Hopefully they will provide a simple check box in the GUI in future versions.

0 Kudos