VMware Performance Community
pruchya
Contributor
Contributor

is possible use Storage VMotions is local datastore ?

hello everyone 

i have some questions  about storage for vmotion for test benmark

i have 1 server install esxi  with 2 local datastore as picture , is possible use datastore1,datastore3  vmotion  across datastore

or 

Am I correct in thinking that Must have 2 esxi server and  storage shared with them for vmotion   and  how many  shared i have ?

enough 1 shared  like this ?

SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs = shared

XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs = shared

Deploy/DeployLUNs = shared

===================================

could you please explain about  3 paremeter  as below what does it mean ?

SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs,

XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs

Deploy/DeployLUNs

=====================================

// Infrastructure Ops Settings
// This section must be filled out prior to beginning benchmark runs.
// String SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for Storage VMotions. Must be shared storage. : Default empty
SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs = <>
// String XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for XVMotions. Must be shared storage. : Default empty
XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs = <>
// String Deploy/DeployLUNs : Specifies which LUNs to use for Deploys. Must be shared storage. : Default empty
Deploy/DeployLUNs = <>

pruchya_0-1626435623673.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert

Hi pruchya,

Two servers with shared storage with at least 2 datastores is required for VMmark to run.

• vMotion migrates a VMmark VM from one host to another host in the VMmark cluster. If you have only one host, this cannot happen and VMmark cannot generate a Score, Score_N_Tile_Test.txt.
  • SvMotion migrates a VMmark VM virtual disk from its datastore to the datastore you specify in SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs.
  • XvMotion does both of the above at the same time using XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs.
  • Deploy deploys a new VM onto the datastore Deploy/DeployLUNs.

In VMmark3.properties, if datastore3 was a shared datastore, it would look like:

SVmotion/SVMotionLUNs = datastore3
XVmotion/XVMotionLUNs = datastore3
Deploy/DeployLUNs = datastore3

Your VMmark Standby and DS3WebA VMs should be not be located on datastore3 in this example so that the Storage vmotion and Xvmotion can occur.
anilspp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos