VMware Performance Community
rolandt
Contributor
Contributor

What are actual cygwin requirements???

What components of cygwin are really needed for VMmark?

I know it makes it simple to say install everything. But that a) takes a long time to download, b) takes up a lot of disk space (up to 2.5GB) on every client server, and c) includes a lot of packages that are obviously not going to be used (like compilers, databases, and xwindows).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bherndon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have made a few (admittedly feeble) attempts to pare down the installed packages. I always end up missing things and fall back to a full install due other concerns. I'd be delighted to see anyone with the time and desire help us find the minimal set. As far as your questions:

a) If the download time is an issue, you might try downloading everything to a local machine once and installing everything from a local mount for all of your clients.

b) I never found the disk usage to be a problem since it's hard to buy a system with less than 80GB these days, but I can see that this might be an issue on older hardware.

c) You do in fact need the compilers in case you ever need to recompile the database or fileserver clients due to some version incompatability. In addition, the cygserver must be running to provide IPC facilities. There are also several dll dependencies, etc. that seem to cascade through. I agree that things like xwindows can probably be omitted. I just haven't tested it to be sure.

0 Kudos
mitchc
Contributor
Contributor

actually.. to answer point b: I used clonezilla to image my client0 after downloading but before installing cygwin. clonezilla (i found out) defaults to a 12GB partition when you restore the image. subsequent cygwin "full install" blew up with a completely full HDD. doh! there's always a new gotcha around the corner with VMmark Smiley Wink nothing is difficult about it (as an IOVP partner I know what difficult is!) but tons of tedium..

cheers!

Mitch.

0 Kudos