VMware Cloud Community
avarcher
Commander
Commander

vmtoolsd and 'No value found'

I've tried to get values using vmtoolsd, as per http://communities.vmware.com/thread/326930, without success, I keep getting 'No value found' ...

noValueFound.jpg

The value is in the VM configuration ...

testByAndy.jpg

Also, checked out the vmx file ...

testByAndyVMX.jpg

No matter what values I use I get 'No value found'.

Can someone help please?

ESXi5.0, tools up to date, HW8.

Many thanks, Andy.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you also try with the pipeline to Out-String, as in the 2nd post in that thread ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Hi, thanks for this, but no - it just passes 'No value found'.

passThro2.jpg

And ...

passThro3.jpg

My issue is that the example post gets the value 'vm-180' but all I get is 'No value found' no matter how I construct it.

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Missing jpeg ...

passThro3.jpg

0 Kudos
simonbaev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

The whole thing with "guestinfo"  worked for me after a little fix. The following example illustrates he case:

$ vmware-cmd --config esxi-24 "[DS_104.24_150] LTSP2/LTSP2.vmx" setguestinfo myTest "hello world"
setguestinfo(myTest hello world) = 1
$ vmware-cmd --config esxi-24 "[DS_104.24_150] LTSP2/LTSP2.vmx" getguestinfo myTest
getguestinfo(myTest) = hello world
$ vmtoolsd --cmd "info-get guestinfo.myTest"
No value found
$ vmtoolsd --cmd "info-get myTest"
Invalid key name supplied
$ vmware-cmd --config esxi-24 "[DS_104.24_150] LTSP2/LTSP2.vmx" setguestinfo guestinfo.myTest "bla-bla-bla"
setguestinfo(guestinfo.myTest bla-bla-bla) = 1
$ vmware-cmd --config esxi-24 "[DS_104.24_150] LTSP2/LTSP2.vmx" getguestinfo guestinfo.myTest
getguestinfo(guestinfo.myTest) = bla-bla-bla
$ vmtoolsd --cmd "info-get guestinfo.myTest"
bla-bla-bla

Some details:

1. All commands were issued from a virtualized linux box (LTSP2) which has vCLI installed on
  2. File "esxi-24" contains login credentials to access corresponding hypervisor (host for LTSP2)
  3. DS_104.24_150 is the datastore on "esxi-24" hypervisor

Conclusions:

1. You can use vmware-cmd (remotely via vCLI) to set and get guestinfo parameters
  2. Only those params which have "guestinfo." prefix are available to be accessed from "vmtoolsd" daemon.
GregAndo
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem.

It turned out the VM was already powered on when I turned on the vApp options, and enabled OVF environment transport via VMware Tools.

I tried rebooting to no avail.

Turned out I had to power off the VM entirely before the options I enabled would take effect...Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos